New glowforge, failure to launch. Er, I mean print

We’ve tried both the metric and english gift of good measure to no avail - it isn’t cutting through the medium draftboard. I followed the troubleshooting, have inspected and wiped optics - same outcome (although as someone who builds and uses optics for a living, they were surprisingly smudgy upon delivery.)

It did arrive with the orange lens on the side of the printer head loose in the box, which wasn’t totally encouraging.

We’ve also had some struggle with it recognizing the proofgrade material - but after mucking a bit I think that has more to do with lighting (we’re near a window with some other odd lighting) than anything else - even when it recognizes the material, it doesn’t cut through.

I haven’t started fiddling with settings because it seems likely this is indicating a larger issue. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

1 Like

Do you have calipers? If so, you might double check the thickness of the material. I assume you double checked that the lens was inserted the right way (like a bowl, not a dome) but I feel like I need to say it anyway. :slight_smile:

Is it cutting through at all?

1 Like

Do you have a photo of both sides of the gift of good measure?

Ooh, the calipers question is good… My calipers are at work, but it is proofgrade material and the failure is pretty complete - it isn’t getting anywhere near through. I did check the lens direction, and made sure all optical surfaces were clean/not obscured/where I expected them to be…
(Always good to ask/check)

1 Like

I second the calipers, a good way to tell if your material has swollen. Depending on your environmental humidity that could be a factor.

You could also tell the machine it is non proof grade then use set focus and manually enter the power and speed. If it is slightly thicker due to humidity you may have to either slow it down or increase power but the proof grade numbers will get you in the ball park for a test.

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.