New glowforge plus and the lid goes clunk

This is a replacement forge and it arrived today. Works fine, printed a sample and it ran like a top. However that is where the problem is, the I’ll fitting top. It goes clunk every time, so tight on the one side that it is shaving the plastic off the inside lid piece. Is there any way I can loosen some lid nuts and shift the lid to solve the problem?

1 Like

Do not attempt to loosen anything. The case has a bit of flex - your GF isnt sitting totally flat. Shim up individual corners (post it’s are great, it doesn’t take much) until your lid is behaving normally.

7 Likes

I second what @ekla said. Many of us have had to ‘shim’ a corner of our GF. I’ve had mine for over 4 years now and it’s been shimmed for nearly that entire time.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will try tomorrow. Thanks for the quick suggestions.

Garnet Dobsky

2 Likes

I placed one piece of veneer under the left front rubber foot and the clunk got better. I doubled up the veneer and the clunk disappeared. Thanks for the suggestion.

Garnet Dobsky

2 Likes

good to hear you got it going!

a stable surface is key to a happy forge.

3 Likes

Hi @dobsky8006. I’m sorry to hear that you ran into some trouble with the lid of your new Glowforge. I saw you got some great advice from fellow Glowforge owners. It sounds like they helped you resolve this, but I wanted to check in with you to confirm. Let me know, and I’ll be happy to help with any further troubleshooting needed. Thank you!

All fixed now. Two very thin sheets of veneer and no more crunch. This replacement glowforge has black rubber feet. My original did not have the black rubber.

Garnet Dobsky

1 Like

Hi @dobsky8006. Thank you for letting me know that you were able to resolve this with the shims. There have been some updates to the Glowforge, and feel free to create a new ticket or Community thread if you run into any further trouble. I’ll be here and happy to help. Happy printing!