New Idea

Hello Glowforge family…question, can you use Glowforge to cut a thin slab of marble?

1 Like

You can mark it fairly well with engraving and vectoring, but cutting through marble effectively and cleanly with a Glowforge isn’t really going to happen.

i switched the topic to Beyond the Manual as that is the category for discussing settings and materials that go outside the Proofgrade and default settings margins.

Here is an example of engraving marble.

I got some good cuts with multiple passes into think Corian that allowed me to snap it at the cut marks.

3 Likes

There was also someone who tried to deeply engrave marble and managed to turn it into lime instead.

2 Likes

There are much better tools for cutting stone, but if you had all day, you could conceivably eventually get through.
I did a set of these 4" Travertine tiles for place settings at Thanksgiving. If I remember, it took 9 passes to get this done, Pausing between passes to physically scrape the deposited swarf out with a tool.

Not recommended, it would probably take more than 50 passes to get through this 5/16" tile. You also have to be certain you don’t move the tile at all between passes to keep the position registered.

5 Likes

Patience is virtue …

3 Likes

Thank you for you response. Was just wondering because I came across a super thing slab of marble and would love to make some earrings but didn’t know if I could risk it.

This is nice. Were you going for a tombstone effect at Thanksgiving?

2 Likes

So true…i don’t know if that’s the project for me… :thinking:

Haha! not my goal. The tumbled tile and the font gave me the impression of a timeless relic - for which I guess a tombstone would qualify…

4 Likes

I really like the look here. What font was that?

2 Likes

lol…it still is beautiful, nonetheless.

1 Like

It is Charlemagne Standard. To me, it has an ancient Roman feel to it.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the feeling I got too.

1 Like