New owner and Glowforge came early

I ordered a Glowforge Plus last month and was quoted to come in April. Well it showed up a few weeks early before I got my space ready. Really excited to plug it in and play with it, but I don’t have a desk/table for it yet. Any suggestions on something affordable. Was looking at some workbenches from Lowes/Home Depot. It is going in a spare bedroom that has nothing in it.

Very excited how early it showed up, I should have started getting the room ready earlier.

13 Likes

Depending on whether cost is an issue, there are a bunch of great suggestions on here. I went with a 2 drawer metal horizontal filing cabinet.

There’s this IKEA hack:

From HD:

etc. Do a search in the forum for “table” and “cabinet” and while you’ll get some projects, but mostly what you’re looking for :smiley:

6 Likes

Congratulations on your new purchase. I bought the 2X4 Basics Custom Work Bench. It’s only the 4 corner pieces then you need to purchase the 2X4’s and the table separately. I used 1/2 MDF for mine and it has two shelves under the top table where my GF sits. It also comes with 6 brackets to makes 2 additional shelves, again the wood comes separate.

Search Amazon for 2x4basics 90164 Custom Work Bench and Shelving Storage System, Black

https://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90164-Custom-Shelving-Storage/dp/B0030T1BRE

4 Likes

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Any sturdy, level table will work. Here are some discussion threads to get you started. Search results for 'work table' - Glowforge Owners Forum

2 Likes

Congratulations and welcome!

My setup is a hand-me-down desk. Two filing cabinets with a very heavy wood desk top my father built across them. It was his desk for many years, and now it is mine. It works great for my GlowForge.

1 Like

Since you’re new you might like this:

I had a lot of these…

So I used one with two shelves under the Glowforge and put the extra shelves on two others, so it makes a very inexpensive place for the Glowforge and if desired use the Glowforge to make a decorative exterior!

They come in a number of sizes and most hardware and HD/ Lowes etc. will have them.

Welcome! There are lots of great suggestions on the forum. @deirdrebeth already shared the link to my IKEA hack, which has held up really well for the past few years.

1 Like

Welcome and thanks you for sharing some good news! It’s always nice to hear. I didn’t see anyone say this yet but if you’re handy you can always make one yourself. I made my table out of 2x4’s and 3/4" plywood. I was able to do shelving underneath for cleaning supplies and my PG Material. It’s strong, sturdy, and for me I had scrap around so it didn’t cost a thing! I can’t imagine that a few 2x4’s and some plywood would run you too much. Enjoy!

Check Craigslist for free/cheap desks/tables until you find something you really want.