New tile technique

So because I was having trouble getting this design to not engrave the inside of these shapes, even though there isn’t a fill in illustrator file, I gave manual cut a shot. Woohoo! No need to color afterwards and it’s loads faster. Love happy little accidents! Looks a bit like bone etching/horsehair pottery.

29 Likes

Looks good! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It looks good indeed. I think I know why you had trouble with engraving the inside. Your lines were probably not converted to shapes and are just paths. Here’s a link with a better explanation.

I bought some tiles from Home Depot but haven’t had a chance to try anything yet. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks!

Very nice!

@betseywalker Can you tell us what tile you are using and the setting you used to get these results?

cheap ceramic tiles from home depot and full power at 150. 100 gets you darker, but gooier, lines.

1 Like

Need to add this to my UK/US vocabulary :wink:
John :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Nice, Did you ever get any variable line darkness on the lighter side? I’m wondering if you can get at least two degrees of darkness on the crisp edge side (not gooier).

It really seems to depend on the design and the type of tile. Been playing around with this. It’s kind of nice being able to get a “handmade” look through a laser. This was done with the cut function and then colored with sharpie.

7 Likes