New user: Smell

Hello new user here. I am just in the middle of making my first engraving of a drawing but I want to know, does the machine usually leave a smell in the room. I have it in a vent and all but I still have a smell in the room. Is this normal? The engraving is 45 mins long and im only 15 mins in.

1 Like

Usually there is little to no smell while the machine is operating. Often users do not have a tight seal around the exhaust port at the left rear of the machine or where the duct exits the building. I had to use metal duct tape to properly seal the connections. In my opinion, the duct clamps do not provide a sufficient seal by themselves. This is assuming that the exhaust fan is clean and the duct is properly installed.

After the unit finishes the cut or engrave, any lingering smoke or smell will enter the room. More so as the lid is opened.

2 Likes

Thanks I thought it might be that but when I look it seemed ok. I will def use a tape seal.

1 Like

Not sure if your vent is out a widow but if so check your window… My window slides open and there is a small gap between the two panes of glass when its open, I had to use a 1" wide foam strip to seal this gap when the window was open until I finally cut a hole in the wall for a permanent vent.

3 Likes

@torrvantes.0730 I’m so sorry to hear you are having issues with smell when printing with your Glowforge.

When your Glowforge is properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here:

1 Like

@torrvantes.0730

We haven’t heard from you for a while I wanted to make sure if you were still having issues with fumes and smells when printing with your Glowforge.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.