Newbie brainstorming while I wait for my GF to arrive

I have an idea for something that I’d like to make, but I’m curious about a material and have a question:

I’d like to make some butterflies and I see lots of files available for them, but almost all of them are flat. The ones I see that aren’t look like they’re cut from paper, but I want something more sturdy.

Is it possible to (lightly) heat up the acrylic after it’s been cut with the GF and gently bend the wings up a little so that it looks (more) like a live butterfly? Is it thin enough, or is there an acrylic sheet that’s sold that IS thin enough to tweak with a heat gun? Or if not acrylic, is there another option?

Thanks in advance.

5 Likes

Absolutely! That is one of the abilities that makes acrylic so fun to use. Here is one example: ‘Flower’ drop spindles - Made on a Glowforge - Glowforge Owners Forum

8 Likes

Thanks so much! This is exciting news.

2 Likes

You might try a forum search on “slump bowls.” There was also a “lace bowl” I remember. They’re not butterflies, but they’ll fuel your creativity. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I used to make slump bowls when I worked with glass. Haven’t done any with resin yet, but now I can look at making them with the GF, too. Fun times.

3 Likes

I did a bit of that but have very little left.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.