Newbie here ~ question on non-pg 1/8 Baltic Birch engrave settings for GF Basic

Hi there,
First time using non-proofgrade material. I am trying to cut and engrave 1/8 Baltic Birch. I ordered on Amazon, 20 pack of 12x20 sheets. Quality is better then I expected, and happy that there is no warp, however, the measurements are a bit off, but not a big deal.
Here are the settings I used:

CUT: speed 200; full power; focus height 0.128
ENGRAVE: speed 1000; power 80; LPI 270, focus height 0.128

Cut came out great, very happy.

Engrave needs improvement. What do you think needs adjusting? Should I increase the LPI to show more of the fine lines? I feel the depth of the engraving is good.

I am still learning the ins and outs of custom settings.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch :sunglasses:

1 Like

Repeat multiple times changing different settings and see which results you prefer on the material you have. Increasing LPI will darken/deepen the engrave. Looks like you have a good starting point.

2 Likes

you could up the power on the engrave and use set focus and pick spot where you will be engraving.

1 Like

Using “set focus” and the default engrave settings for PG Med Maple Ply works for my 1/8" BB ply :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, I just checked, I don’t even have custom settings saved for BB engrave, I think I use maple ply as well.

I do have for cut, though.

1 Like

Nobody has said it yet: skinny lines (especially vertical skinny lines) don’t do well at very high speeds.

Try at a speed of no more than 500, see how it goes.

2 Likes

PG Med Maply Ply works great!!! thank you so much for the tip!

2 Likes