Newbie Intro - Map on Maple Hardwood

Hello GF community!

First time glowforge owner/user. I just got mine 4 days ago. I recently quit my job in IM/IT to start a home business. I wanted to do something that would bring me joy and I’m not looking back! Here is a map of my home town engraved on maple hardwood.

P.s. shoutout to the other Canadian users :slight_smile:

49 Likes

Very Nice! Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Welcome! May the joy you find be endless!

2 Likes

Wow, awesome start!

1 Like

Great job! Looks like you may have found your calling! Great first post!:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Nice job and hello from a slightly warmer part of the great white north.

1 Like

Welcome. Best of luck with your new career.

1 Like

Welcome! I wish you great success!

1 Like

Awesome project! You will find a lot of joy and satisfaction pushing that Blue Magic button :smile:

1 Like

Terrific map! Keep going! What city is next?

1 Like

Beautiful and stylish map

1 Like

Awesome! Looks great!

You might also like to check out some of the examples on this thread:

where the streets are cut rather than engraved.

Doing cuts is probably a little more complicated in preparing your artwork, but can be a nice look.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! I definitely want to attempt layered mapping next. I like the look of combining the engraved and cut layers.

My original thought was to use a drawing tablet to outline the major roads and bridges, maybe with the inverse of what I did with this map so that the roads are elevated, but I’m open to other suggestions. I know I’m not reinventing the wheel so I am happy to take suggestions! :slight_smile:

Good way to start, welcome.

1 Like

This is really nice, especially for your first project!

1 Like

Great map, especially the contrast of the map and lettering with the maple.

1 Like

Looks great! No looking back. Good attitude. Go all in, eh. :canada:

1 Like

That’s an awesome project and welcome to the Community! I’m actually looking to make maps as well as I had a friend recently ask me for one. Does anyone know where to source maps that will translate well to cutting or engraving? Specifically looking for St. Louis, Mo.

2 Likes

I used the build a map feature in Snazzy maps then made modifications in adobe illustrator.

There are a number of other posts that give detailed instructions.

5 Likes

Nova Scotia here… originally Niagara Region. This map is beautiful!