Newly arrived Basic ONLY prints left side

I have used the boards sent to me, and have printed a couple of designs. My problem is: the laser only cuts on the left side of the crumb board. It will scorch/etch, but never cut all the way through on the right side. I have done double passes as well. I have downloaded Pins and made sure the board wasnt warped. Is this an anomaly? Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a plastic film on the lense I didn’t peel off?
Help!

You need to follow the troubleshooting steps for this issue and post the results, so support can assess whether there is a problem with the machine.

It’s most likely to be dirty optics, or that the crumb tray is not seated correctly in the machine. Either that, or the machine is defective.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble.

I’d like to have you perform a specific test print on the right side of your Glowforge, so that we can confirm that your Glowforge is performing within specification.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Check the completed print:
    • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.
  1. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Also, I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, and can review the results of the test print, we’ll follow up with next steps.

Thank you for your reply. I’m working on all steps right now. Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Manny

Those are wide laser blasts. Is your printer head lens in upside down? Or the crum tray elevated on one side?

1 Like

Lens is placed correctly, and crumb tray is in its seated position with nothing making it unlevel.

1 Like

Did you use set focus, just overthinking this because it looks like your laser beam is wide, which usually occurs if the focus is off

They always want a photo of the back of the gift of good measure board to see how much burned through. Just to save you time.

If Set Focus is in the menu where “Refresh Bed” is, then yes I did do that on the right.

This is the spot I spoke about.

I’m not sure what that cloudy spot is, I learned the hard way that this piece unscrews from the head, when it unscrewed in the middle of an operation and got scraped up. Maybe you can clean the inside of it?

Another thing to test - the case itself is flexible. If the surface it is on is not flat the case itself can twist and cause it to be in focus in one area, and out of focus in another area. Level is nice but flat is important.

When you use “set focus” are you placing the area somewhere on your work piece and then watching to see where the red pointer flashes? It must light up an area of your work piece to have the correct focus.

2 Likes

Yes.

I’m so sorry to hear that the trouble has continued.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.