Nick Longanecker is a goat

Just wanted to leave this hear. My jaw drops every time I see work from Nick. Keep it up <3

3 Likes

Can you elaborate?

Trollā€¦ just move alongā€¦

Not a troll. Nick is a popular designer in Glowforge-oriented social media groups. He also has several designs in the Glowforge Catalog and has made video content for the company.

https://www.instagram.com/isimplymake

5 Likes

Nick is great but but youā€™ll find the real GOAT on Toddā€™s channel.

See, arenā€™t vague references infuriating?!

4 Likes

Sorry, i was laughing so hard. I remember it meant something good, but my mental image of a goat pumping out complicated designs with a braid in the billy goat beard wearing little glasses at the tip of its nose had me rolling. When i calmed down a bit, i googled it. I really shouldnā€™t be here before coffee.

8 Likes

So I asked midjourney to make ā€œa goat using a laser cutting machineā€ā€¦ and man, that goat has skills:

I mean he seems kind of stuck on backlit panels, but if thatā€™s what sells on Goetsy, then so be it.

13 Likes

I always read these like this:

ā€œā€¦ is a goatā€ = Bad. Calling someone an annoying farm animal or referring to a ā€œscape-goatā€

ā€œā€¦ is the GOATā€ = Great. Meaning the Greatest Of All Time (G.O.A.T).

8 Likes

OKā€¦ now it makes sense!
I knew nothing about this Nick guy. Now I do!
Thanks!

2 Likes

I think itā€™s triple funny for me because yesterday i was attempting to draw a goat. No backlit stuff thoughā€¦if thatā€™s what sells, i should consider itā€¦maybe when my goat stops looking like a blob with a beardā€¦:rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Iā€™d never heard this at all until nowā€¦but, I do know who Nick is.

8 Likes

While this is a really random post with no context, Nick is an awesome designer. I love the work heā€™s done with the new paper/plastic patternply material from Smokey Hills. I think Iā€™ve got some of that stuff in my stash somewhere (unprinted), but I canā€™t for the life of me remember what itā€™s called.

7 Likes

ā€œPatternPly Flexā€

4 Likes

Thanks. I actually meant that I couldnā€™t remember what the base material is called. :slight_smile: I am pretty sure I have some of it from long before lasering became a home hobby.

1 Like

Really helpful guy* <3 love his work <3

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/tech/ai-art-fair-winner-controversy/index.html

Someone won an art contest with midjourney results. I skimmed, but didnā€™t read in detail.

3 Likes

I read this article. Fascinating. I can see both sides. The ā€˜artistā€™ was very upfront about how he created his pieceā€¦and it was entered in the digital art categoryā€¦so Iā€™m not sure what the big deal is. Personally, I donā€™t think 'real 'artists have to worry about their work or the creativity being supplanted. Itā€™s another art form.

3 Likes

To me this looks kind of like the advent of digital photography.

There was a time when only Real Photographers shot photos for newspapers, and weddings, but then one day really high quality gear became affordableā€¦ and the internet was full of lessonsā€¦ and suddenly there was a glut of photos that people were literally giving away. Sure, lots of the photos were crap, but lots were good enough. Heck, even I have had photos in magazines and newspapers and I am no great photographer! People like me give the pros fits and devalue their work. I can understand why they hate hobbyists.

I reckon something similar will happen again to illustrators thanks to this kind of software.

4 Likes

There is a lot of ongoing discussion about how this might be a little more complicated than something becoming easier because of technology. Here is another recent article along that line:

3 Likes

Good article.

1 Like