No glow in the tube or coming out of print head

Hi,
I had been using my Glowforge for a few months and then took a break (2 months) and now the tube is not glowing… Is there something I can do to troubleshoot? I haven’t used it that much so I would be very surprised if the tube needs replacing already. It also hasn’t been moved or anything.

Thanks,
Konina

Ok, this is probably a goes-without-saying sort of thing, but I’m going to say it anyway because I’ve had these issues and felt really silly when I figured it out. First, make sure the job isn’t set to 1000/1 (or whatever the automatic engrave settings are when you just click it but don’t input anything). Second, make sure there isn’t some silly artifact in your design that is getting “engraved” – when this was my problem, it was a very, very pale, very thin, very long line that essentially wasn’t resulting in a visible engrave. The laser was only doing what I told it… I just didn’t know what I had told it and I kept ending the job when I saw it wasn’t “doing anything”. Only to finally realize it was. Third, clean off the tube as best you can. It’s hard to see very-low powered glow, and a dirty tube can totally obscure it.

None of those are probably your issue, because I’m silly. But someone will be along momentarily with solutions beyond “I’m silly and I need to clean my glowforge”.

8 Likes

When in doubt, print the Ruler on PG material :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow. Hahhaa I definitely was thinking, “of COURSE” i set it correctly-- since I was using proofgrade material-- but the qr code was cut off so I had manually selected it at the top left… but forgot to change the cut settings to proofgrade.

oof. I’m embarassed! Take 2 months off and all goes out the window. haha

Thanks again!!

9 Likes

You know your GF was thinking “Is she kidding me… I’ll Never cut through anything at this setting…”

Don’t feel embarassed. I did the same thing a month or so ago. Although I was highly embarrassed when I realized what I did; after taking up time from GF support.

2 Likes

A little voice should squeak out when things are set to 1.

This one would work.
http://soundbible.com/1917-Hahaha.html

2 Likes

Good catch, @erin.

@konina
I’m sorry for the scare, and I’m glad it was an easy fix!