No longer cutting

I had been using the Glowforge, and all of a sudden it stopped cutting. I went through the cleaning process and ran the Gift of Good Measure, and it did not cut, score, or engrave.

Help!

Post the time of the GoGM print attempt, along with a pic of the material. Support can confirm the settings in the logs, then take the next steps to arrange repair/replacement.

1 Like

I’m so sorry that your print didn’t turn out as expected. Would it be possible to get photos of the front and back of the Gift of Good Measure?

There are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. We’ve discovered that photos don’t always come through well in emails, so I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, we’d like to take a look at your optics for the next steps. Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

Hi, I did all the cleaning steps. I cannot show you the front and the back of the GOGM because it did not cut, engrave, or etch.

Hello @r-jamison, I’m sorry to hear the test print didn’t go well, thanks for letting us know.

I apologize that this is going to seem a bit like I’m repeating some instructions my colleague Jeremy gave earlier, but I’d like to check on and grab a photo of your printer head mirror just to be on the safe side. If it’d be possible to grab the other photos Jeremy mentioned that’d be great, I presume there was no notable damage or issues with any of them?

If your Printer Head is moving but you aren’t seeing the laser marking your material, it’s possible the mirror isn’t installed correctly and may have been damaged.

• Follow these instructions to access the Printer Head mirror.

• If you see damage to the mirror or the plastic handle (for example, if the plastic handle has been melted), please check the interior of the Printer Head for any additional damage. If you don’t see any signs of physical damage inside the Printer Head you can purchase a replacement Printer Head Mirror through the shop. Note: If there is damage to the plastic handle on the mirror, the mirror may be difficult to remove. You can follow the instructions here for removing a mirror that is stuck.

• Once you receive your replacement mirror, please clean both the lens and Printer Head window, by following these cleaning instructions.

• If you find any damage in the Printer Head, please take a photo of the damage and send it to us and we’ll follow up with next steps.

I’m so sorry I didn’t read the entire reply. There’s nothing quite like actually following the directions.
I’ve sent the pictures and hope you will be able to see what you need in order to diagnose the problem.
Thanks.

Hello @r-jamison - with the issue your printer is seeing, and the troubleshooting we’ve done so far, I believe we’ve run into a problem we’re not going to be able to solve remotely. I apologize for the bad news, but we’ll try and make this replacement as quick and painless as possible!

I’ll be sending a follow up email to you to confirm and finalize details, please keep an eye out for it, thanks!

I’m going to go ahead and close this topic so we can finish up in email.