No Man's Sky Mandala Style Wall Hanging

This was a bit of an experiment. It’s my first attempt at designing my own layered wall hanging and I used this logo image as my inspiration:

The result is a layered wall hanging with 8 pieces of plywood and each layer reveals a little more of the image. I was going for a kind of stone artifact feel:

I also experimented with the finish. As I noted, I was going for a stone look, but I also wanted it just a bit “other worldly.” I painted the layers with silver metallic spray paint and then loaded a marbled texture pattern into the glowforge and etched over the paint on each layer.

This removed some of the paint and I came behind with a blue dye and rubbed each layer with it. The blue gathers in the unpainted areas and also tints the silver to an almost gun-metal blue.

All in all I am pleased, but I wish I had gotten the alignment better on etching the marble pattern. I do want to play a little more with the finish technique (etch away some of the paint and dye the wood), but it can be a little tedious on larger engraves with multiple layers.

Might be fun on a cube…

33 Likes

I love the marble etching!

2 Likes

Very creative!

You might enjoy exploring Rub 'n Buff for the kind of finish you were looking for - not that your piece needs improvement, it’s just a great product that can be used to provide some great results on multiple materials.

2 Likes

Neat! It does sort of look like an alien artifact you might dig up.

2 Likes

Very awesome! Glad someone else enjoys NMS as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

The marbled effect is great. Design is super cool too.

1 Like

Cool! and I was JUST getting ready to work on making a few small things with metallic-looking spray paint (but it’s snowy here now, so I decided to just wait). This look great!

1 Like