Noise reduction trick?

The tip in here is about 3d printing but I wonder if this would work to quiet the Glowforge at all?

1 Like

I’ll admit, I’m afraid to move my GF because I don’t want to recalibrate. Irrational? Maybe.

I’m also still in the honeymoon period with my external fan, so I actually enjoy hearing the singing servos.

3 Likes

And I’m still honeymooning with your ex-external fan! :heart:

3 Likes

I’m underwhelmed with my external fan. It’s plenty loud and doesn’t pull any more air than the gf’s fan. ac infinity s6. I wonder if I need to make my exhaust 6” on the exhaust side of the fan, or maybe if I need to get my GF fan out of the way. Stupid pro makes taking the fan out almost impossible. Terrible design decision.

2 Likes

You find the S6 isn’t quieter than the internal fan? It seems significantly quieter for me.

Even more so when I do something like tile, when I can turn it down even slower.

1 Like

Yeah I have to run it at full to get good airflow when cutting wood. I really wonder if necking down to 4" on the way out of the fan is the problem. I could try recutting the vent hole to be 6" but that’s a one-way trip so I am trying to avoid it.

Even on full speed, it’s a lot quieter for me. Makes me wonder if something is up with yours.

1 Like

hm.
Maybe.

Is there any orientation for that internal piece? They call it like the wind tube or something dumb. As far as I could tell it just goes in one way and then rotationally it doesnt matter

I’ve found that isolating anything that vibrates (transmits sound) from a surface capable of vibrating (like a table or wall) you can reduce the amount of vibrations (sound) that is transmitted.

I put rubber feet under my Glowforge to reduce the vibration between it and the table it sits on. The external exhaust fan and hose clamps are mounted, suspended under the table. I’ve placed rubber grommets between the mounting points and table to reduce vibration. The result is a significant reduction on sound for me.

3 Likes

Hmm, mines also much quieter, like @shop said. I’ve got a 6" vivosun also necked down to 4" on the output, planning to improve that someday. I did a little bit of sound mitigation in mounting location and by adding some padding.

I’d call my evacuation rate equivalent to the built-in fan. I suspect, like you, that removing the inert fan and annoying grate would improve flow substantially.

If you turn on the external fan and turn off the Glowforge and put something in the way of the internal fan you can see hear it is far from inert :dizzy_face:

Wrapping the hose in bubble-wrap (or other noise reduction) would probably help as well.

1 Like

I’m using insulated duct, and yes that helps a great deal.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.