Noisy motors

My current Glowforge is much noisier than the past 3 when moving in certain directions.

Is there anything I can adjust to reduce the movement noise?

I’m worried the motors are taking on more wear-and-tear than necessary.

You can most clearly hear what I mean in the last few seconds of this video:

That sounds like resonance to me. The vibration from the motors is making something else vibrate to create the noise you are hearing. I would look for anything that might not be seated properly.
Since it doesn’t happen all the time, only at certain speeds, it is probably not a motor issue. I wouldn’t worry about premature wear on the motors based on that video, but I would look for anything that isn’t tied down that should be.

3 Likes

Seconded. Is there anything sitting atop or beside that may be vibrating sympathetically? It sounds metallic to me.

2 Likes

Sounds like only when y-is engaged. Disappears entirely when it’s just x-movement. I’d start there.

1 Like

My machine is noisy across one axis, and virtually silent in the other. It’s been that way since I got it years ago - to the point where I don’t even think about it, and hence can’t say which one is noisy and which one isn’t.

I even tried to program the imperial death march by having different angled movement to create the tones. I got bored and gave up.

2 Likes

Sounds like mine. Hmm I need to make something new today.

1 Like

My Basic is all but silent when moving along the x-axis, but the y-axis makes some noise. It’s been that way for four years and I’ve never been concerned.

3 Likes

I removed everything from on top of the Glowforge and the table it’s on to rule out any of that vibrating. All 3 belts were over-tensioned and the pulleys over-tightened. I loosened them all just a tiny bit. But something is still noisier than it should be. Haven’t figured out what’s vibrating yet.

1 Like