Non-marking game tokens material suggestion?

I’ve made some tokens on wood. Afterwards we put some clear lacquer on them. It seems to help with them staying clean looking.

5 Likes

also, if you managed to get them cut, you could easy engrave a design onto corian, or something.

4 Likes

Okay… Here’s an idea… Make an open-faced sleeve for each card. This way the sleeves and cards will be different every game. Plus it won’t matter what material you use for any of it.

1 Like

Maybe like this ones

They have a matte backing so you can’t see the card when they’re upside down.

2 Likes

Forget all the other suggestions. Google “urea backgammon pieces”.

4 Likes

Another option Amazon search for Blank Clay Poker Chips.

I don’t know what kind of plastic is mixed with the clay, so I don’t know if these are laser safe? These are textured, have great weight and feel to them, and are meant for day-in day-out use. Plus, since they are cheap, if you need to make a new set at some point, that’s easy.

Adding a link here to a good description of the various kinds of chips available: http://www.homepokergames.com/types-of-poker-chips.php

At least one site I went to mentioned that their chips were coated in a clear PVC, so best to get some samples and test for chlorine before lasering.

2 Likes

When Max was developing SH, he sent me the illustrator files. I started printing a set on maple plywood (subtle grain) but after a few strange looks from people around the office who saw a bunch of pending files named HITLER-FACIST.PNG I decided to take a different tact. My 8 year old kids have never played Secret Hitler, but we have a great time playing a game I printed for them called Secret Sith, featuring certain well known space heroes and villains.

19 Likes

We do get weird looks at work when we play secret Hitler. Perhaps a re-skinning would be in order. I like your “Secret Sith” idea.

There’s also this official re-skinning: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/06/secret-hitler-board-game-a.html

But I’ll stay away from politics on this forum.

4 Likes

I am currently running a PBFB (Play By Facebook) game of Avalon Hill’s Source of the Nile.
It is a game of exploration of Africa in the 1820’s. It was fairly unique at the time for having a thick paper-fronted board that was ‘filled in’ as one explored by writing on it with erasable crayon.

One of the first GF projects for me will be to make clear Acrylic hexes of the discoverable terrain to place as overlays… there is NO WAY i am going to write on my 1980-era game-board

3 Likes

Neat!

…but that makes me miss Top Gear :cry:

1 Like

That was a great episode! :smile:

i dunno, this past season was about as good as anything the other three did minus a couple of specials. by contrast i found the grand tour really boring and didn’t finish watching it. i think they were given too free a hand there; hopefully some tighter editing will right the ship for next season.

2 Likes

You should sleeve your cards.

1 Like

We do, but those get used up too. I’d also like something a little prettier.

1 Like