Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

Resin printers are virtually maintenance free, just keep it clean and occasionally replace a plastic film.

It also carries with it more chemical issues, resin and solvents etc. Tradeoffs I guess.

8 Likes

Oh this is interesting about album lengths…

I don’t think the Tiktok comparison is all that interesting, typical intergenerational curmudgeon stuff… but the history of vinyl albums and their impact on song lengths, very cool.

6 Likes

I honestly do not understand his 39 minutes comment. 12-14 songs per album, pretty sure ~3 minutes per song is still standard…seems like a 39 minute album is right at par.

Is he thinking it should be longer, or shorter?

I guess longer as some more recent releases (not to vinyl obvi) have averaged closer to 50, but I’d rather 39 minutes of excellence than an extra 3 songs that are just fine tagged on for length.

4 Likes

the 39 mins thing is and old school vinyl length issue. it’s nothing new and him pretending there’s any relation to tiktok is specious. even talking about short-length songs, that’s always been the case w/pop music. 3:00 has always been the sweet spot (even before LPs). AOR (album oriented rock) turned that on its head, with bands like zeppelin or rush having 7-9 min songs. but pop has always been short songs.

the history part is cool, i kinda knew but w/o the details. but the fact that artists are still limiting themselves (or the labels are??) to 39m is interesting. especially pop, where i don’t see them releasing a lot of vinyl. some old-school rock artists still do, but i didn’t think mainstream pop labels did a lot of vinyl today.

6 Likes

I mean if he’s upset about 39 mins then he must flip his lid at early Green Day (Kerplunk is 33:58) or modern 100 Gecs (their album 1000 Gecs is 23:07)

Like I said the tiktok thing is just crabbiness trying to get the clicks.

(Heck, even A Hard Day’s Night is only 30:13. Darn those mop-top kids with their Tiktoks!)

For more:

6 Likes

and that doesn’t even get into double or triple albums. AOR really changed a lot of how that was done.

3 Likes

YouTube’s like “I bet you’ll like this”…

You know what… that’s the sketchiest most enjoyable thing I’ve watched all day.

8 Likes

I’m all out of nope. Two thumbs and several partal fingers up.

5 Likes

I mean… this guy has an out-and-out death wish.

That is crazy. I wouldn’t even want to be near that thing let alone straight in front of the business end.

9 Likes

At 3:44 one piece kicks back and (thank goodness, only) hits him in the lower leg. Could have easily hit him elsewhere.

5 Likes

I’d rather take all the guards off all my shop equipment and work naked all day than to be within 100 meters of any of those.

9 Likes

Thank God he’s got his legs protected by those socks and shorts.

10 Likes

The first and third ones don’t seem quite so insane - the third makes it even hard to get stabbed by it! The first one could definitely catch something and pull you to your death but you’d have to be very unlucky for that to happen :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That is 8 different kinds of crazy. Most of these guys have to be serial killers.

6 Likes

You Tik-Tokkers get offa my lawn!

4 Likes

I want one. The first or second are brilliant. First one is probably more my speed since it’s slower :smile:

6 Likes

And of course you’ve is like “this is now your identity and you will never want to watch anything else” and recommended another.

Turns out there are many many videos of people using incredibly janky hacked together log splitters. Rabbit hole if you’re so inclined. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And Krocs. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Where is OSHA when you need it? :rofl:

I counted my fingers after watching these videos.

8 Likes

Speaking of needing all your fingers… game ppeedrunners, man.

This is aimed right at a gen X kid like myself… I was never a Mario guy but I can appreciate this sort of thing. If you watch the video, be warned, there is some yelling, this guy is on fire and very enthusiastic about his accomplishment. Just might want to turn it down a bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes