Nonlaser things that I think GFers will find interesting

Yeah that car engraving thing is just outstanding. I wonder if that stuff lasers? :wink:

1 Like

I wonder if some kind of paste that could hold dimensionality could be stenciled on through a laser-cut stencil. Sufficiently thick Bondo, maybe?

Most wikipedia’ed person for every town in the US.

Atlanta is dominated by musicians, that makes a lot of sense to me.

3 Likes

Very interesting. Even my little home town had a famous person. I can waste some time on this.

2 Likes

One of our ATL “people” on that list caused considerable damage to my daughter’s 442 during a music video shoot.

The lawsuit is ongoing.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Our little town (10,000 ish) has it’s own, too.

His dad was our family physician for many years, and his brother Bob played drums in my husband’s band.

4 Likes

Calling @cynd11 and @FlorenceTurnour :smiley:

http://typetom.com/f-press/

4 Likes

Interesting! Someone needs to come up with a DIY laser-cut version …

Also of note in that vein is the Open Press..

A different style but, there are also these Woodzilla presses in a similar price range.

3 Likes

Someone did! (But this is the non-laser thread… :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

dangit. now i need to make one of those.

2 Likes

Oooo, thanks for the links! Always interested in new gadgets, although the workflow I have right now for doing this type of printing is working okay, for the limited use I make of it.

4 Likes

I am thinking that a commercial rolling pin should make a great print roller to make the base of one of these, and perhaps a commercial cutting board as a solid base :thinking: :grin:

3 Likes

Not clear. You need to press pretty hard… might be worth a try though.

Thanks! I’m going to order a woodZilla press, once I get my studio put together (remodeling). They are on backorder right now from speedball.

I was only thinking of those parts as being able to stay and not warp or give as the roller was used. Most of the rest (gears and such) could be cut on the Glowforge.

I have been wanting to make a deep relief engrave and have a way to press thin soft metal over it to duplicate the design. I would also want to cut it, but that would not be this set up.

1 Like

Oh I see, yes a rolling pin could be good for that.

I have been wanting to make a deep relief engrave and have a way to press thin soft metal over it to duplicate the design. I would also want to cut it, but that would not be this set up.

That sounds interesting. I’m not sure about cutting it, but you could certainly emboss.

For the blocks I’ve been making for block printing, I do cut out the background (rather than engrave it) when the holes are not too tiny, so depending on the design you want to emboss, maybe instead of figuring out a deep engrave, you could just cut holes. I would suggest trying it upside down: put a towel or blanket or something a bit squishy, then the metal, and then block face down. Or if the metal is thin enough, do it right side up and just press it with your fingers.

1 Like

It is not that thin :slightly_smiling_face: The easier it is to emboss the easier it would be to embarrass(unemboss).

This may be an extreme example…

it’s not done on a laser, but maybe it could be??

2 Likes
3 Likes