Not cutting all the way through and "drag" lines

Hoping someone can help me with something.
I have cleaned all of my lenses, fans, etc. I’m having issues with pieces not cutting all the way through on 1/4" acrylic. Also having issues where the laser is leaving a sort of drag line across my pieces. Pieces that I have cut numerous times and know that the problem isnt with the artwork.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Is that from an engrave operation? Sometimes a node is messed up and sends an odd line across.

Can’t say about the cut through though. Fans in good shape?

Like I said in my post, its not part of the artwork. I have cut these same images dozens of times and its not the artwork.
I just cleaned all the fans, all seem to be in good order. It happens at random with different pieces.

Would a scratched lens cause these types of issues?

Here’s an example of the drag lines… 2 with drag lines, 2 perfect engraved, same svg

Those are open nodes in the vector object. They’re being connected to a random other node to close the path, since you need a closed path to engrave. What node they get connected to is influenced by position and orientation, so it might be a node right next to it (and the resulting line is not visible to you) or far away (and you see an unwanted line) even given the same design in both cases. 100% of the time, it’s the underlying file that causes these lines. If you don’t want to go find the defect in the file, just rasterize the design and engrave it like a picture. No node problems if there are no nodes :wink:

10 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag. @dan84 is right, the lines you’re experiencing are most likely due to open nodes in your design file. You can follow these steps to rasterize your file.

In regards to your cut trouble, the file you’ve shared doesn’t appear to have a cut line around it. I’d like to ensure your Glowforge is operating as expected by having you perform a standardized print.

At your earliest convenience, please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.
  • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi @MorningstarMSI. It’s been a little while since Jeremy’s response and wanted to check-in to see if you’re still encountering any trouble with the design, or prints not cutting through completely. Feel free to send us any results of the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings, or any other questions and we’ll be glad to help.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.