Not cutting all the way through on the far right side

When we send a job to the glow forge, it cuts fine on the left side, but as it moves to the right side, it does not cut all the way through the material. We end up wasting time and material which is not acceptable.

There can be several reasons for this, but the power applied is not among them. There is no means that such can happen. If the work or the crumb tray is higher on one side because it is not tied down even a fraction of a millimeter that can have a big effect. The slightest bit of smudge on the lens under the left side might mess up the focus more on the right side, Some materials have warp or are just thicker on one side. And magnets on the crumb tray can cause it as well. If while watching you see the smoke catch fire, where ever that happens it will not cut as deep.

I would check under the crumb tray that it is properly seated, clean the windows (even looking clean can be an issue as it would not take much from perfection) I would run the Calibration and use set focus most where it is giving you the most issues. Make yourself a batch of Bed pins and make sure they are holding the material down tightly.

And if you really want to be sure of a cut through lower the speed by 5-10 and it will cut deeper,

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you are running into trouble. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and compare it with the details you’ve provided.

I’d like to create a baseline for your Glowforge, and review a specific print. When you have a moment, could you please do the following?

Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on

We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design, and ensure that it is placed on the right side of the material.

Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.

When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.

Check the completed print:

If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print

If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.

If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Let us know how it goes!

April 24, 2020, 7:50 PM East coast time. The print did not cut through.

Photos of the piece both sides and of the windows and unnderneath of the print head would help the diagnosis. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for performing this test print! I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge, and reviewed this print.

I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you for working through those instructions, and for sending over these images.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.