Not cutting all the way through, please help

Im having issues with my printer not cutting all the way through. Ive when up on the strength and its still not cutting only leaving marks like its scoring on my acrylic sheets. Should I replace the print head. Ive had it about 2 years now. I’m cutting on thick acrylic and its a medium cut and still nothing.

if you still have some proofgrade mdf, run the gift of good measure and see what it does. If that cuts fine then the machine is probably fine. If it doesn’t and the machine has been getting gradually weaker over time, it might be time to replace the tube. Which is a trip to the mothership.

1 Like

As noted by @kanati, you should print the Gift of Good Measure on proofgrade material with proofgrade settings. If it does not cut perfectly, take photos (front and back) along with the date and time of the print and send to Glowforge support.

Before doing the test cut, however, make sure that ALL of the optics are clean, the fans are clean and the material is being held perfectly flat to the honeycomb tray.

2 Likes

I usually find 2 or 3 passes instead of increasing power will ensure a cleaner cut, especially the darker the color and opacity, and thicker the sheet increases likelihood that more than one or two passes are needed. I’ve learned to try to jiggle the shape within the sheet before starting to remove any hold down pins, in case I need to run another pass.

If the sheet is not perfectly flat, it will be more difficult–and as nearly any material is cut, internal stresses change, which can cause what was originally flat to warp a bit, so if some areas cut thru and others not, that’s a likely culprit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.