Not cutting proof grade material

My glowforge just recently decided it did not want to cut through proof grade materials. I have ensured that I am selecting the correct material. If I move the toggles to make the cut more powerful, there are orange flames

Make sure all your optics are clean. That’s typically the issue!

2 Likes

There are several reasons that Proofgrade materials won’t cut as planned. As already noted, the first thing is to make sure that ALL of the optics are clean as well as the fans. Also, Proofgrade materials will warp just as any other natural material will, so you must insure that it is held perfectly flat against the honeycomb tray.

Once you have everything clean and flat, print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material using Proofgrade settings. If the print is not perfect, post photos (front and back) along with the date and time of the print. Support will be able to review your logs to help determine the problem.

2 Likes

Cleaned everything. Still having issues. 9/30/21 @ 3:25

Also looks like the cam isn’t accurate because I’m my dashboard, I didn’t put the measuring tool over top of that rectangle. Also flaming up really bad. I have a video but am not able to attach it

1 Like

So I’m adding that I just tried non proof grade materials and they work just fine, no flames and cut all the way through… Do I have a bad batch of proof grade?

Your cut lines are really thick. This might be a focus problem or your lens may be in upside down.

2 Likes

How do I fix either of those? I haven’t taken the lens out

Follow the instructions in the cleaning guide on the website (or the same guide in your owner’s manual). That’ll show you how to take out the lens since you need to do so to clean it, and you’ll also clean the window over the camera that sets the autofocus height. If both are dirty, that may fix things for you.

You’ll need at least one Zeiss lens cleaning wipe every time you clean, which will be as often as every few hours you use your Glowforge. Your Glowforge came with one wipe. You can buy more at Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, or Amazon. Make sure you don’t pick up the “anti-fog” variety for glasses, as you don’t want to add any coatings to your laser optics.

1 Like

Hi Channing,

My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge and I’ll be helping you troubleshoot today. It looks like the forum folks are also helping you out here.

But can I get a few photos? This helps me confirm or deny some things that could be causing this issue.

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows

• The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head

• The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge

• The printer head lens

• Both sides of the lens, top and bottom

• The mirror inside the printer head

• The bottom of the printer head with the lens installed

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

Regards,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.