Not cutting thourgh

I was given some plywood (quite a bit) to try to use for projects. I have trouble cutting through the .195 material. Any suggestions? I have tried slowing the speed and increasing the passes but get a lot of charring. On one test the material started burning on the 2nd pass. I was using full power each time. What can I do to be able to cut thru without a lot of charring or burning? I am using a Glowforge plus.
Any help is appreciated.

Some materials are simply unsuitable for cutting on the machine, and thick materials (which yours is) can be very difficult to work with.

I avoid anything more than good quality 5/32" (purebond) like the plague. Quality materials from Glowforge can be used OK, but random material from unknown sources are just not worth the effort.

The machine is optimized for 1/8" material. It can cut thicker material, if of good, consistent quality.

2 Likes

Just to add - I’ve bought various plywood over the years that was just horrible to work with. It was full of voids and random fillers that really messed up cuts. I ended up using it mostly for prototyping.

Thank you. As I was given the material for free I was hoping to be able to use. I know there are issues with one image cutting OK and the same image in another spot not OK. I was hoping someone would have some setting suggestions for reduced charring without having to test blindly.

Nobody can say what might work with your specific material. I have had several over the years that simply were unsuitable for anything more than prototyping. One in particular is Luauan underlayment from the big-box hardware stores. Seemed like a great deal at the time, it’s probably the worst material I’ve ever worked with.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.