Not cutting through all the way

So I had this problem with the first unit sent and was sent a second replacement unit. No matter how many passes/speed/power is used its not cutting all the way through non-proofgrade materials. I’ve tried leather (various weights) and now various laminated woods. 3/16" mostly. Cherry and oak veneers. Even so much as full power and 4 passes won’t cut through. It will cut through in random spots, but not a continuous cut all around. I cleaned the lenses 2 days ago, the materials are weighted down so they are laying flat on the tray, I’m using digital calipers for accurate thicknesses. What am I missing?

Does this also occur with proofgrade materials? If not, since this is a question about non-proofgrade materials your best bet is to post over in Beyond the Manual section. The glowforge team is typically mum on non-proofgrade materials as it’s composition and quality can vary wildly.

3 Likes

You won’t get an answer from support because you are using non Proofgrade materials. You should post your question in the “Beyond the Manual” section and share your settings for the material you are having a problem with. Perhaps someone on the forum can help you.

2 Likes

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

Upside down lens? You can put it in backwards and it’ll be terrible.

Yeah, we’d need to know the specific settings you were using for each material, and the thickness for each, before anyone could offer any suggestions.

Your electricity connection might be erratic, which would affect both of the GFs you have tried. Try a different plug in a different room. Who knows, it just might solve your issue!

You are saying full power and 4 passes, but you do not mention the speed? If you are going full speed, it will probably not cut through.

To cut through 1/8" material, my speed is typically between 130 and 180, at full power, using 1 pass.

1 Like