Not cutting through any materials

My machine is not cutting all the way through several materials. I have cleaned the lens, laser window, and mirrors. I have emptied the crumb tray and it is set in the proper position. I use pins to keep the material flat. I have tried proof grade settings as well as full power and full speed. I was able to cut through draftboard with 2 passes at full power and speed. I cannot get it to cut through 1/4" Maple plywood nor 1/8" Hickory with MDF core. What else can I do to fix this? My machine still can engrave and score without issue, but not cutting like it used to or should be cutting.

1 Like

Support will ask you to print the gift of good measure, and provide pics.

… and if not succesful, they might also ask for pics of the optics:

1 Like

You can’t use full speed when cutting. You have to experiment with speed vs power until you get the cut you want. Try slowing the speed down to around 130 for starters and move up or down from there.

1 Like

@beerfaced - Thanks for helping out the newb here. :wink: I forget that speed for cutting needs to be slower.
Good news! I did some testing like eflyguy mentioned. I used the proof grade settings and did my first test cut of the Gift of Good Measure. It did not cut. ;-(
After that, I closed the blinds to the window right next to my Glowforge, as it was a little bit sunny. I remember reading someplace that the sunlight can interfere with the mirrors and lense. Couldn’t hurt, right?

I then proceeded with the test using the same draftboard. I adjust the speed to 100, then 130, 155, 169, 196, and 300. All cut through except 300. The 100 was charred to heck, the 196 worked great and had the least burned edges.

So, Next I tested the Hickory MDF core with both my design as well as some shapes right from the app. (Making sure it wasn’t file designer error). All worked at proof grade setting of 155/Full. Seems all is well again!

Perhaps it was just the sunlight? Idk, but I am happy it is cutting like normal again!!

2 Likes

Glad to hear yours is working. Just had mine for like 4 days and have yet to see it cut all the way through draft board and acrylic that’s 6 x 8 inches. It cuts all the way through for small stuff (I made a pair of 2x2 inch earrings), but it will not cut through all the way on PG draft board/acrylic at PG settings OR even when I adjusted the settings it would not cut all the way through. I’m hoping someone can help me soon. I’m so sad…had such high hopes.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag, but I’m glad that the advise @eflyguy provided helped to resolve the trouble. I’ll close this thread for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com if you run into any more trouble. We’re here to help!

I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this behavior. We try and keep customer trouble in separated threads, just to make sure we are tracking each snag directly. Could you please open a new thread with the behavior you are seeing, or reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com?

Thank you!

1 Like