Not Cutting Through- lens problem- frustrated- ready to give up- HELP!

I’m new here and am extremely frustrated. I have wasted so much wood trying to get things to work correctly. I’m about to pack it up and send it back. I’ve had my GF for a month or so- cut the Gift of Good Measure perfectly the first time. I have cut out some things beautifully and some things look like they are cutting and then it’s not cut all the way through. I even cut 1/16" Baltic Birch the other other day- looked beautiful, but didn’t cut through- seriously frustrated by this point. So, look through this community for some answers, try some different settings and decided to go back to the beginning and cut the Gift go Good Measure on Proofgrade Hardwood I had. Didn’t go through. Tried again- didn’t go through. Cleaned everything off, tried again and it mostly went through. Now, I have been looking through some other posts and somebody sent a picture of what their screen looks like when they set up their cut- it’s clear and easy to see- I think that is my problem, but I don’t know how to fix it. Please see all attachments.

The image you see should definitely be clearer than what your photo shows. Have you inspected the lid camera? It is almost like there is a film over it. Can you share a picture of the lid camera?

4 Likes

Also, this is almost certainly going to need official help and they can only be contacted via support@glowforge.com but we’ll do what we can to help. They are……slow to respond.

Any chance the lens went back in the head upside down at any point?

2 Likes

So apparently you are supposed to clean that to get a clear image- lol- I did that and it looks much better. However, I ran another Gift of Good Measure on Medium Draftboard (Proofgrade) and didn’t cut through. Another problem I am having is smoke. Seems to be coming out the front A LOT more than it used to. I have the air filter running, but I just noticed there is a fan in the upper left corner- is that supposed to be turning? Because mine is not.

2 Likes

I did send them an email the other day and haven’t heard anything.

1 Like

I took out the lens and cleaned it and made sure it was installed correctly, cut the GoGM and it cut through. Now, I have noticed that my exhaust fan is not spinning around. How do I fix that? Thanks a bunch!

2 Likes

If you have a filter attached then the fan in the GF doesn’t need to run. But if you’re getting smoke now and were not before, either your filter is turned down too low or the filter is full. Check the speed control and jack it all the way up. If that doesn’t fix the smoke, then the filter cartridge is probably full.

If you do a lot of MDF (Draftboard) or standard PG Ply (MDF core) then you can clog up the filter cartridge in a few hours so even though your GF is only a month old, it could be full. But if you find the speed control is set on low - jack it up to high and remember to leave it running after the job for as long as the job took to run. This allows the filter to pull the stuff deeper into the cartridge so it doesn’t pack up the surface.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply- out of curiosity, how long should an air filter last? I have not ran that many projects- maybe a total of 20 sheets. I have adjusted the knob and turned it up from new and same thing. Now, I feel like before I could visibly see the smoke going toward the back corner where the fan is and now is just sits there and comes out the front. When it says to wait to open the lid I do and wait even longer and there is still smoke.

1 Like

I will try this tomorrow - I understand what you mean! Thanks so much!!

1 Like

I think your filter is full. Is there any way you can vent outside?

2 Likes

With Draftboard or standard (MDF core) PG Ply it can be a matter of hours. That’s why it’s better to vent outside if at all possible.

If not, then using non-MDF materials like tile, acrylic, etc. will allow the filter to last a lot longer.

But if you absolutely have to use the filter and MDF materials you will be using up the cartridge pretty frequently and you’ll want to order several so you have some one hand as they often go out of stock in the store. And yes they’re really expensive.

5 Likes

The expected life of the filter is listed on the tech specs page, but you will note they do not list MDF (“Draftboard”) and also caution against using their “Medium” proofgrade plywood. Both will fill a filter in just a few hours of use.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.