Not cutting through material on 1/8th inch material

I’m having trouble cutting through proofgrade material on the cut setting.
It wasn’t cutting through the material at all. It looked like a regular score at the top. Underneath the material there was no evidence of it being cut.

When I switched the material type to “thick plywood” I was able to cut successfully for a few runs.

Today I wasn’t able to cut through with the thick plywood setting on 1/8th inch material.

I slowed down the speed to 130 at full power, and it cut out a test square.

I took pictures and all the lenses look fine, except the lense the goes over the laser itself. I have attached pictures.

What can I do?

I have cleaned the lenses, the fans, everything that can be cleaned… I’m at a loss.

2 Likes

the lens over the laser looks blurry, smoky, kinda charred. I can’t clean it off .It is underneath the lens.

1 Like

Have you cleaned the mirror?

1 Like

Yes, I have cleaned the mirror

1 Like

What about the mirror under the left side? It gets forgotten.

1 Like

There is one more lens on the left side that points to the lens on the side of the laser head. Best of luck. :blush:

1 Like

I have cleaned the mirror under the left side. It is still not cutting through :frowning:

You do not want to use thick plywood settings for 1/8" plywood as the speed is higher for thick than it is for medium and your results will be poor.Changing the material settings is not the way to improve performance.

Support will probably want you to cut the Gift of Good Measure on proofgrade material using proofgrade settings. If the cut/score/engrave is not perfect, take photos of the item both front and back and post or email to Glowforge along with the time and date of the print.

Hi @tfam1230, @dklgood is correct! So we can better understand, could you please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings? When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply. If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Hello @tfam1230. Just wanted to check in and see if you are still having trouble with cutting through the material? If so, the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material is the next best step for us to help troubleshoot further.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.