Not Cutting Through Proofgrade Cherry Wood Material

I have recreated a design that I have made many times. The design includes engraving, scoring and cutting. Everything works perfectly fine until the Glowforge gets to the cut lines. The cut doesn’t even come close to going all the way through the material. Machine set to Medium cherry plywood. Have run the cut lines multiple times and it still doesn’t go through.

Advice from Glowforge Support would be great.

Cherry plywood or cherry hardwood? Correct thickness settings used? (Just double check the settings are correct for the material.) Check the speed and power settings…make sure that it hasn’t defaulted to 1% power because it didn’t recognize the material or something…that can happen.

After you’ve checked the settings, if you want to test the machine to see if “it” has a problem, print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material using the correct default settings for that material to see if it is something mechanical. (You might want to clean the lens and windows first, in case it has gunk buildup. Technical term.) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If it doesn’t cut through correctly, post a screen shot of the front and a picture of the back of the GOGM cut so support can analyze it and look at the logs for your machine. (Let them know the time and time zone of the failed print.)

3 Likes

Hi @wdisney1901 - I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with how your printer is cutting and I apologize it’s taken us so long to get back to you.

As @jules mentioned, a great next step here would be to perform that test print so we can measure how the printer itself is performing. If the printer is fine, it may be an issue with the material you’re using or in some cases, an oddity with the design file you’re working with.

For that test print, here’s what that process would look like.

First let’s double check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.

• If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there’s anything else I can do to help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.