Not cutting through, Proofgrade not detected

Okay, so I’ve printed about 5 hours of Glowforge up to now. Originally it was running great, the Proofgrade was detected, the cuts were clean and neat. But for the last cuts, Proofgrade Medium Maple Ply and Medium Draftboard, the burns seem excessive and it hasnt been cutting right through. The Proofgrade wasn’t detected, so I set it manually.
I was trying to cut some of the honeycomb bed pins and then I tried a catalogue item, the carpenters clamps, in case it was something in the file.

The screenshot shows the quality of the camera view, so I’m not surprised it can’t identify the material. I’ve gone through the complete cleaning and it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Ian

Seems quite bright. Do you have some kind of bright light just overhead?

No, but it is by the window. The other cuts I did were in the evening.

I’ll try and close the blinds or try this evening to see if it makes a difference

Thanks
Ian

I’m more concerned about the changes in the way it’s cutting - those look awfully charred for using the default settings.

You might want to hold off on further testing until you hear back from support.

will do, thanks. Hopefully they wont be tooooooo long

Ian

Because it’s been slowed down quite a bit… default cut speed for med draftboard is 183. The manual cut settings on the screenshot are 150.

1 Like

Ahhh! Good catch! Yep, carry on.

that was when I was trying to get it to cut through. at default there wasnt even a mark on the reverse, but the charring around the holes was when I tried at default. it was very ‘flamey’

Ian

When you did the “complete cleaning”, did you remove the lens from inside the head? Are you sure you put it back in correctly?

The issue was happening before then, which was when I tried the cleaning. I followed the instructions, so I guess it’s back in the right way.

I tried 4 x 2 lots of the pins on the maple ply and 4 x 2 of the pins on the draftboard. it hasnt identified the material for either, but I will try with the shutters down later.

Would the manual setting of proofgrade have different settings to the autodetected?

It’s almost like the beam isnt focussed for cutting. The etching on the pins is nice and clear

Ian

Okay, so it’s engraving, just not cutting through?

Take a look at your settings for the cuts.

If your settings are significantly different than what is showing there, just change them with the sliders.

Okay, so now I can get it to read proofgrade, I just need to put a little pressure on the lid! It looks like the lid is about 1mm proud of the rest of the top, but there is nothing stopping it going further, so maybe there’s a hinge issue?

Still won’t cut through though. I’ve switched to Medium Maple again but I’ve also managed to delete my Metric Gift of Good Measure. Is there a way to recover deleted free stuff?

Ian

If your lid is sitting slightly proud of the top, that doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a problem, but it might be that the case is not perfectly level. (They flex just a little, and they are tested on a perfectly flat marble slab.)

You can try adjusting the case level by placing a small shim under either side of the case (about 20 sheets of copy paper thickness or less) and see if it improves the lid situation. Mine sits a little bit high on the right side, so it’s not unusual.

For your lost file, if you open it and click on the […] button for the information panel to pop up on the right, there should be a Reset option there.

Thanks Jules

I’ll check the levelling, but it seems out on both sides, so maybe I have a front to back issue?

The Gift of Good Measure (Metric) just isnt there any more, so there’s nothing to reset. It’s gone from the dashboard. I checked and someone said support need to reset it , so let’s see if they can

Ian

Yeah, they can reset it. You might want to start a new Topic for it though so that they be sure to see it. (They like to keep one issue per topic so they can track the tickets and when they get them closed.) :slightly_smiling_face:

I mailed them directly… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. I’ve added the Gift of Good Measure design back to your account. It will appear on your Dashboard at https://app.glowforge.com.

I’m sorry to hear your print didn’t turn out beautifully! To cut successfully, there are three important things to check. First, your material must lie flat. This requires a clean, properly installed crumb tray and flat materials. Second, there must be no obstructions, dirt, or damage preventing the laser light from reaching your material. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, but if you follow the instructions in the cut-through troubleshooter, we’ll be able to get to the bottom of it.

Once you’ve inspected and cleaned, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on that Proofgrade Draftboard and let me know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let me know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

Hey Vee

I couldnt find the small piece of Draftboard, so I used a larger piece and made sure it was flat to the honeycomb. I’ve cleaned everything and the crumbtray is happily snug in it’s grooves.
The print was today, at 10.44 UK and it failed to cut through. It had identified the Proofgrade Draftboard okay, without assistance.

The pictures show the taped background also I cut the tape off and there is no sign of the laser cuts at all.

Where do we go from here?

Thanks
Ian
PS, I also have a video of the whole job, if you want to see that as well

I bought all new Proofgrade materials and they are not recognized. Tried turning the machine on and off and restarting the design. Still the camera is super foggy (has always been) but so are all the Proofgrade stickers.

Click on the Unknown Materials button at the top of the left column and use the Search magnifying glass to pull up the material you are using. Example: type in “Maple” and all of the different kinds of maple hardwood and plywood Proofgrade products come up in the display.

Pick the correct one and the values for it are loaded automatically into the correct slots.