Not cutting through proofgrade

Last week all the sudden 1/8 mdf wouldn’t cut with proofgrade settings. I cleaned all the lenses and tried again, still wouldn’t. I had to slow the speed down to 155 to get it to cut through. I tried 1/4 mdf on proofgrade settings and it didn’t cut through. I saw a couple posts in the fb group of similar complaints but no solutions. It was speculated that it was an update issue. Hoping for help. Thanks

2 Likes

Although your headline implies you are having difficulty with Proofgrade materials, your post suggests you are cutting non Proofgrade MDF. Materials from different suppliers vary a great deal, and for that reason Glowforge can’t really address each situation. To make sure your machine is working properly, I suggest you make sure all of your optics are clean, your material is held perfectly flat to the honeycomb tray and you print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade draftboard with proofgrade settings. If the print does not come out perfectly, take photos and share with Glowforge support along with the time and date of the print.

2 Likes

Was all the original masking still on the piece that wouldn’t cut? This may not be your problem, but I had one piece of acrylic act three different ways on as many designs. First cut perfectly, 2nd not at all, and the 3rd like a hot knife thru butter. All used the same settings for cut.

First piece was a complex design that required a lot of tedious weeding. I thought I’d be clever and just remove all the masking for the next one–a really simple design compared to #1. Results were very poor, with the laser never making it fully through the material. The last one had the up-face covered with some cheap brand of masking tape; I used three passes, but I think it cut through on the 2nd pass.

The 1/8 had masking, the 1/4 did not

You’re right, the 1/8 was not proofgrade but those settings were working fine for a year with this supplier. The thickness of the product did not change, 1 day it was cutting… the next day it was not. The 1/4 was proofgrade and it didn’t cut either with the thick settings. I’ll try cleaning it again and try the gift of good measure. Thanks!

I’m having the same issue. I really think there is something wrong with the software. I can’t cut proofgrade acrylic - the good measure. MDF prints ok. I have cleaned all the lenses several times, sent pictures to support. Just waiting on a response from them.

Same issue here too. I was cutting great on Thursday afternoon. I took a break and came back to cutting later that night and haven’t been able to cut through proof grade since. Super frustrating.

Try selecting “Medium Maple Plywood” as material (whether the material you want to cut is proof or not) for 1/8 mdf and Don´t set focus. Let the settings as “Proofgrade Cut”.

It works to me.

I’ve had mine for 5 days and I’m having the very same problem. Help!!!

You need to open your own thread here, or send an email to support.

They can only assist one customer per ticket.

Thanks. I will send the email.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and compared it with the details you’ve provided.

I was not able to find the test print of the Gift of Good Measure. I’d like to have you perform this print, so that we can create a baseline for your Glowforge. When you have a moment, could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on

2. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.

3.Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.

4.When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.

5.Check the completed print:

- If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print

- If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw 
        the issue with, and let us know the results.

Now that you’ve cleaned the optical components, I’d like to take a look at some images of the components to ensure everything is installed correctly.

Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, and can review the log files from the test print, we’ll follow up with next steps.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this post.

If you are still having trouble, let us know. Please start a new post or reach out at support@glowforge.com. We’ll be happy to continue helping.