Not much for some of you I know, but this took me hours and I'm proud!

**I spent SO many hours today (probably 4 or 5) getting this right. I’d bring it up to the GFUI and realize I hadn’t done the colors right and something was engraving where it shouldn’t or not at all. when I finally got it to work right, I felt like a new mum. LOL. Then I went back and “cuted” it up, because not cute is not good. Thanks for those who helped in early hours when I couldn’t even get it to show up in the GFUI LOL. It’s only been a week and my real problem is not so much with the glowforge interface, but the fact that I have ZERO experience with any kind of graphics program so the inkscape learning curve is HUGE for me. Im going to keep learning and plugging along until my computer program skills match the enormity of my ideas I want to do! anyway, I had to share, because I feel like I accomplished something.

57 Likes

Kudos for sticking it out!

5 Likes

No, be proud. We all remember that that project that took hours and now would take minutes. That is the only way to learn.
Looks good BTW.

11 Likes

thank you!! I spent a buttload of money on this thing (i saved for three years) and I WILL learn how to get the most out of it!!

15 Likes

That’s the attitude!

6 Likes

it is the little wins that take the day - sometimes those little wins seem to take a while to manifest! here’s to you for persevering.:partying_face:

5 Likes

Yep, turned out great! You’ll be whipping them out faster and faster before you know it.

4 Likes

I’m excited to see what else you come up with! Always be proud of what you take the time to dig in and figure out :wink:

6 Likes

I am always impressed by someone who is willing to put in the work to get the results they want. It’s becoming a rare quality.

Nicely done!

9 Likes

This is huge and you should be proud! (Heck, I’m proud of you and I don’t even know you. :rofl:) Being willing to put in the effort and struggling to get it just right is really admirable. This is the only way to really learn and you’ll be amazed how much easier it will be in a few months. Great job.

6 Likes

It came out perfectly, and I love that little raccoon logo of yours!

5 Likes

Good for you to not only get this done, but for “cuting” it up. Setting up and printing these tests are really good ways to learn how to work with the interface and the graphics program. Thanks for sharing your success.

4 Likes

Wow! :heart_eyes: Love the Raccoon!:heart_eyes:
I was thinking you were using up a lot of wood for such a record, and then realized what the background was! Amazing detail

5 Likes

Good for you! I too started out not knowing Inkscape and learning as I went along. If you’re willing - as you are - to put in the time and patience to learn, you’ll find you get the benefit of being extra proud of your accomplishments every time you learn something and you see the end result. I’ve kept a photo diary of all my stuff and something I look through it and remember that is when I learned how to do this, and that is when I learned how to do that. I’ve learned a great deal in less then a year!

7 Likes

Same as me. :slightly_smiling_face: I started using Affinity Designer as soon as I got my Glowforge…and that was over 2 years ago. I feel the very same way about sticking to it…and I also take photos of everything I make…the good, bad, and the ugly. When I look back at my first stuff I amaze even myself at how far I’ve really come! It excites me no end to learn something that I hadn’t known before…and even more exciting is when I make something really cool using my new-found knowledge.

7 Likes

Being new to lasers, design software,and CNC, it was this community that helped me get going.
The initial struggle was difficult, but short. Your ability will accelerate very quickly, and soon the ideas will flow from your glowforge. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

I had knowledge of other systems but had never touched Inkscape. As I had several months before the Glowforge was delivered (like many; more than I had bargained for ) one of the first things I did was download Inkscape and go through all the commands trying out each one to see what it did :nerd_face: I did not create much of value, but the value I was looking for that was the ability to know where to look when I had a goal that needed that result.

All that effort did help with the anxiety and anxiousness that was happening till it was delivered.

6 Likes

perseverance is the key

9 Likes

Great job! Every project is a step forward … Really nice job on this. The raccoon is soooo cute!

2 Likes

isn’t he though?

2 Likes