Not reaaalllly a "Made" topic, but a great discovery...excuse me, Santa; I need the chimney :)

Fumes from the Glowforge are not all that warm. Pretty much feels like room temperature by the time it hits my vent. If air is already going up the chimney then everything is great. If temperature/atmospheric conditions are trying to drive the air down the chimney…

Yesterday my living room smelled like creosote because the outside temp was just a little warmer than inside the house. If the inside of the chimney isn’t warmer that air just falls back.

4 Likes

Yea, where you have problems with a chimney are those calm days where the pressure has dropped and nothing is going “up.” :slight_smile:

I’m surprised that they aren’t built with gentle fans at the top, that suck air up and out. I say gentle, cause no one wants to suck live embers into the air & onto their roofs…

That would be exciting. :smile:

1 Like

Like that porky pig song: “Hot Tamales…Hot Tamales…Get Em While They’re Hot…”

1 Like

My cousin’s does. He has a wood/gas fired pizza oven and town requires exhaust fans.

1 Like

As usual, someone thought of it long before me.

The People’s Republic of Brookline MA zoning commission

3 Likes

Yep, those are the guys and gals who usually think of my ideas before me. That exact group…they’ve been doing it to me for years now, and quite frankly, I’ve grown weary of it, and I’m going to give them a piece of my mind…

3 Likes

Yeah, nice big 10lb pieces for about $3/lb. it’s awesome!

1 Like

Your cousin is my hero!

I’m so ecstatic!!! I was busy yesterday trying to configure my GF space when I had a bit of an epiphany. My window/vent situation really sucks and I was like, duh, I got a fireplace. I came the the forum today to ask it it would work and here was your post. My GF placement troubles have been solved, you my hero!

So there’s no need to configure a fan or anything else to draft the smoke? (Considering the chimney was designed to vent, I don’t know why I was thinking one would be necessary. ) Please keep us updated if you make any improvements or have any troubles.

3 Likes

Awww, shucks, glad I could help :slight_smile:

I’ve used it for a couple of days so far, with wood, acrylic, and leather, and it’s worked perfectly; much, much better than a 4 inch open window was working, cause the wind was blowing a lot of the smoke back in through the window. Now I’m getting zip, zilch, nadda smoke from the hose, and just the slightest whiff from the seams of the machine.

1 Like

A fire produces a lot of heat that makes all that smoke and hot air rise. I would worry with a long enough chimney that since the heat produced by the GlowForge is so much less gravity might over come the inertia from the fans and let the air settle back into the home. But this might put me in the too much speculation on safety category so if anyone feels strongly please flag me.

Here it is tonight with the sign I made on the GF. The chimney has a fan controlled by their Control4 system at the top.

16 Likes

Jebus… I thought it was an outside oven… What state/city you guys in again? I intend to be making some new friends.

3 Likes

Love that! Laid a slab outside for a brick oven, but then money got diverted before I could purchase the fire brick and mortar. Someday…

2 Likes

that beast is a dual fire (he snags wood from my wood pile) and gas fired.

3 Likes

Wowwww, amazing!

Thats a cool tile job. It looks like tiny bricks haha

1 Like