Notes on Working with Snapmarksā„¢ šŸ¤”

Jules,

Thank you for the excellent directions. I am printing a 20" x 30" list of instructions that will be mounted on a piece of outdoor equipment that we just built, and I have a couple questions. I have set my file up exactly as suggested, I think, but donā€™t know if it is imperative for the first set of snap marks to be scored or can they be ignored. It seems that you lose a large swath of engraveable surface if you have to go back and trim these off afterwards. I am planning on engraving in 4 parts, so do subsequent sections have to be scored also, or can they all be ignored.

thanks so much!
Screenshot%20(6)|690x388

The ones on the bottom of the first section do need to be scored. You donā€™t really need a set at the top of the first section. :slightly_smiling_face:

And yes, all subsequent sets of snapmarks need to be scored. Thatā€™s what the design snaps to. In each subsequent section, if you were to rescore the top snapmarks, they will score right over the ones already on the board. So they donā€™t actually have to be rescored, but I like to do them first, to make sure everything is aligned. Then you score the set on the bottom before you move to the next section. (And on the next file, the marks scored at the bottom become the top set.)

I have been doing exactly this, to cut a 4 1/2 foot long pattern in a board, and itā€™s working great. Since itā€™s a cut, I flipped the image so the top of the board, where the Snapmarks are scored, is the back. That wouldnā€™t work for an engrave, of course.

Another technique that I considered, to avoid the scored logos, is to print the Snapmarks on paper and tape them to the board, But that introduces the potential for error, since theyā€™d have to be manually spaced properly vertically. Or if the board werenā€™t already cut to size, use an oversized board and score the edges, then cut them off. But my board was already cut to size.

You could probably stick several layers of white masking tape on top of the board, and score the snapmarks into those. Then, hopefully, you wouldnā€™t cut all the way down to the wood. (Might need to do some experimenting first to get the settings absolutely correct.)

Nice idea! Thanks!