Now for something completely different

He’s definitely pleased with himself! So cute!

2 Likes

Whenever you feel something like that in the dark, just remember the twilight zone. That wasn’t the grown one you felt. It was just one of the hundreds it sends out to gather reconnaissance for when you go to sleep! Ha!

4 Likes

Or between your toes? You want to slip them footsies in between the sheets with pet discharge (or snack guts) sliming your feet & toesies? :smile:

4 Likes

Living with 3 cats and a dog walking around barefoot in my house at night is daring at best.
Nothing feels worse then stepping in cold hairball puke and having it caressing between your toes LOL

5 Likes

With today’s scholastic institutions I don’t believe the grammar police exist anymore more in fact when someone says grammar police now days a tend to imagine the scene from Goonies where they discover one eyed Willie’s corpse and that’s where I think this countries English education has gone to.

3 Likes

I love statements like this that prove their hypothesis is not the result of recent phenomena :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t mind verbing nouns, but adulting is strange to me. I guess since I was the youngest of five boys, I always wanted to be the adult but can never catch up. And I have never had any problem with childing still.

7 Likes

Given it was in the last sentence, I believe drkstr318 did it on purpose and was just trolling.

1 Like

I don’t know if cold or warm is worse…but yeah, makes you wide awake quickly.

1 Like

I don’t know. I expect the misspelled possessive form of country and ending the sentence with a preposition was more likely to reflect his normal communication style :smiling_face: Those mistakes tend to be habit - deliberate attempts to sound uneducated usually involve more complex structural “mistakes”.

3 Likes

Do not confuse the grammar police with linguists. English is a very fluid language when it comes to having a word act as another part of speech. Want to use a verb as an adjective? Just use the past participle. That rule is extremely productive. Want to make a verb a noun? Use the present participle or add an ‘ation’. There are other rules for producing other parts of speech. It’s because of this fluidity that it’s almost second nature to add a verb role to a noun such as ‘adult’.

6 Likes

Oh, I am well aware of the difference. I have read Steven Pinker fairly extensively. The first think there are immutable rules to be enforced while the later look at a change and wonder if this is a piece of the puzzle to understanding the universal rules better.

1 Like

Luckily this skit entered my mind when starting to compose a reply:

4 Likes

The grammar wars get a lot of energy from the distinction between written and spoken English. Discourse and forums like this one where we reply are filled with a great deal of spoken word idiom and so it is naturally harder to stick to the spelling/orthography conventions of purely written communication.

Most of the forum replies can be read and best understood as someone speaking to you directly rather than only written. One has to consciously alter the syntax and be careful with spelling because the text spoken aloud might not be the best way to write it down for further analysis.

Much of the back and forth static comes from reading a reply in isolation rather than in the context of all the other facts and ideas. With written communication, we generally expect a completely developed argument that stands on its own. With spoken communication, we tend to focus on just the speech at the moment and respond more closely to the narrow point. If there is a trolling response in verbal communication, it is much easier to cut someone off or give immediate feedback that reproves the response. In general we don’t allow trolling in normal conversation and we don’t engage it, especially in the company of people we trust.

Forums exist in the middle of spoken written communication and there are all kinds of static because of this.

8 Likes

here is an egyptian-themed[quote=“marmak3261, post:34, topic:9130”]
isolation
[/quote] chamber, about which I have no further details.

6 Likes

Ooh! I want one. If you’re going to spend time in an isolation chamber, might as well do it in style! (Not a fan of this morning’s emojis, so picture me grinning.)

cc @discourse (These look ridiculous.)

What happened to the emojis?

Oh, I see, they implemented the change from Simpsons-Chique to Racial-Profile. :nauseated_face:

-but only for some of the people-emojis. Why can’t I represent my bright yellow :poop:?

3 Likes

I was going to build a TARDIS to put our sauna in but the wife nixed the idea of a full size TARDIS in the room pointing out the sauna had nice hemlock & glass siding. So then I tried to split it in half with one half on the inside of the house holding a coat closet and the other half on the shared wall in the garage with storage shelves in it. She vetoed that too.

I thought it was the blue. I learned it was the concept of a TARDIS or portion there of in the house she objected to :grinning:

2 Likes

Now if my fiance’ suggested that…I would tell him…“well…why isn’t it finished already…get 'er done!” LOL actually I am not the sauna type (hot tub enclosure would be cool). He said awhile back that when we buy a house that we will need to have a small structure in the backyard to hold all the yard stuff…and I told him “well it needs to look like a Tardis and be bigger on the inside…have a basement for our tornado safety with solar power to power our GF through the storm so we can keep on cutting” … I got one big grin.

3 Likes

I’ll be first in line to help :slightly_smiling_face: I’m still a bit bummed by the whole thing but she’s pretty tolerant of everything else I do.

2 Likes