Now we’re cooking with gas

In continuing my garage sign theme. This was sign number 2. The letters are all Glowforged and the rim and base were done on the x-carve. I think next time the template for the words on the edge will need to grip the curve of the oval so it lines up better. (But at least didn’t glue the letters into the template this time!)

39 Likes

Nice! Both of your designs seem to fit the garage theme!! I guess it’s that ‘oval’ that makes me think garage.

3 Likes

So sweet! And thanks for rubbing it in again that you have an x-carve. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To be honest if I had a pro this would have been perfect for the pass-through, but I don’t. I can tell you cutting 1/8” MDF on the Glowforge is 10x better than with an end-mill. Had to sand the frayed edges from the x-carve, while the laser helpfully burns the fur off… plus the kerf of a laser beam compared to a 1/4” 2-flute end-mill allows sharp corners.

7 Likes

It is so exciting to hear someone else use the expression “cooking with gas!” I get blank stares when I say that. I have to explain that my grandmother cooked on a wood burning stove, so a gas stove was the latest technology. Then they get it. Ah, youth!

8 Likes

Well I was just making a pun on the Esso name, but of course I CAN’T ACTUALLY COOK WITH GAS. Because for the second time Eversource trenched our street and the gas main now stops 1 house to the right and left of my house. We even filled a petition with our neighbor, when they built the new house on the street to get them to complete the main (originally they told me they’d be happy to for $10,000 - :fu:for 50’ of street). Even worse I asked the dude in the backhoe if he’d do it, but of course they didn’t have permission from 1800-dig-safe. But he said it would have been an additional 30 minutes and was actually easier as they wouldn’t have to cut the pipe they had (and joining to the existing main was easier than capping the one they had). Like the nickel & diming the pipe extensions down the street is irritating. And of course they are a private company and can do whatever they want to, but I don’t have to like it!

7 Likes

My ex and I (still friends) had a series of sayings that were inside jokes; they meant something totally different than the accepted meaning.

I had never used a gas stove until we moved into a certain townhouse. When it was my night to cook, I’d have to call Rob over to light the stove. After the familiar whoosh, we would say in unison, “now we are cooking with gas!”

One night however, right after our triumphant declaration, he let a loud, stinky man-fart that absolutely could not be blamed on the cat. I clutched my throat and screamed, “you are gassing the cook!”

Thankfully, it was summer; all the windows were open.

6 Likes

NIce sign! Love the old school looks!

3 Likes

Well done! the X carve compliments the Glowforge well!

1 Like

We found that we could put a 110 gallon propane tank right next to our house with no problem. My husband did the plumbing into the house (we couldn’t find anyone who would answer our calls) and the propane company installed the tank. The pc guy checked the pressure in the lines and made sure there weren’t any leaks (none!). We had it done in November and with all of the canning, baking, cooking, I’ve done, we still have over 65%. So it’s something you might want to check out - a whole lot cheaper than connecting to your neighborhood system.
The tank cost us $400/year rental including fill-up. We’ll buy the tank at the end of the year, and then just pay for refill, which will be about $150/yr. Wishing we would have hooked up our furnace to it as well! But I’m happy just to be cooking with it.

4 Likes

Too funny! :rofl:

2 Likes

Funnier still was the Christmas Eve service we attended one year. Just before we sang Joy to the World, Rob looked at me with a goofy smile…and we both burst out laughing. He’d conjured up the other Joy to the World, the one by Three Dog Night…

2 Likes

My grandfather used the phrase cooking with gas all the time and now I’m him using it all the time. I love it!

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I grew up with my parents calling the fridge the ice box. To this day, I still call it an ice box.

1 Like

My mom did that for years… BTW, I love your avatar!

So not the houses on either side of you?
I was able to get a gas line to my previous house because my neighbor had gas, so for a small charge, they could just run a trunk line across the property to mine…

But right now, I can’t cook with gas, either! Monday night had to call the gas company and got out of my house (with my wallet, keys, and cat with her harness and leash) to wait for a tech to arrive to determine what was leaking. So much for plans of using the GF in the evening–and thankful I did realize what the smell was, and not end up watching my house go up in flames! (or worse). Of the stove and furnace, the only 2 that use gas, BOTH had leaks at their connections. (Oddly, never had noticed any smell from either before–and have been walking by them both often in the last few weeks). Had them shut the gas off at the meter–very happy I don’t need to run my furnace this time of year, and I can live without using my stove… but appreciating my hot water tank is electric! (when power goes out, that’s a different story). Next week the plumbers I like will redo the connections & then get the gas back on… (the furnace was installed nov '14, and I think I may have done the stove connection myself in '16–was OK per leak checks at the time…). So will be good to get me clean up my kitchen and maybe finish a remodel project around where the stove is since it has to get pulled out to redo the fittings!

2 Likes

Amen. I hardly ever use my x-carve since i got the glowforge.

2 Likes

Glad you didn’t go up in flames.

We’re putting gas into the new hose for heat/hot water but not for cooking. We figure we’re going to be carted out of the house horizontally so are trying to plan for what happens as we age. So we’re going to put in an induction cooktop so when we accidentally leave or drop a dishtowel on the stove and wander off we don’t set the kitchen on fire.

3 Likes

The local codes require a propane tank to sit on a concrete pad no less than 25’ from a dwelling. Don’t really want a tank in the middle of my backyard

3 Likes