Object grouping no longer works

What happened!! I used to be able to build a cut file visually on the GF using multiple SVG or PDF files dragged in one at a time. In these files are vector graphics that are in groups. Now the groups are no longer recognized by the GF. Even worse is that I cannot place multiple objects like I used to for efficient use of cutting space. If a larger object is close to the smaller object. Clicking on the smaller object to reposition now selects the larger object boundary so cannot be moved. Worse is the grouping is gone so moving an object sometimes leaves bits of graphics behind. This is a real pain now so please fix. The GF used to work perfectly while placing stuff. Now virtually useless for complex cuts.

The GFUI has never recognized groups - ???

If you want to make many pieces cut as one make them the same color (both edge and fill) If you want tight arrangement do so in your other software. if you need to move that small thing next to the big one click on it directly. If you keep getting only the big one move it out of the way, move the small one, and then move the big one back.

No change in behavior here.

As stated, “grouping” is not, and has never been, supported.

If you want multiple parts of a design to be “stuck together”, you need to combine the paths. That’s an Inkscape term, your app may use a different one.

Grouped items are under a shared tag, which is ignored. The GF UI sees them as completely independent objects.

Combined objects are a single path definition. They cannot be individually manipulated (in the GF UI or the design app.)

Thx all for input. Funny thing is I have never had this issue before. It always took my grouped objects and allowed me to move them around for placement. It seems to have taken place when the GUI was upgraded. I guess I’ll just have to create a template outside of GF and load it separably then in port to GF. One nice feature would be when dragging and dropping an object that it would place on the GF where you dropped it instead of the upper left corner. That would also make life easier… Oh well!

Except if you had a bunch of objects inside another object (like a box) it would move all of the inner objects when you moved or manipulated the outer object.

Still does for me.

I guess it depends on whether the OP was expecting “grouping” from a design app to apply, or was referring to the default behavior on “enclosed” objects in the UI.

If loaded at first they are forever locked, but if you happen to get a separately created object (like a square from the pulldown) and cannot just pick on it you can pick only the larger and move it out of the way

1 Like

I’m sorry about the frustration when using the app. It looks like you’ve already received some great advice and tips from our other community members. Thanks folks!

Did the information they provided help you to arrange your design?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.