Objects showing in sidebar but not cutting/engraving

I have had this happen a couple of times lately. Something shows in the preview in the sidebar but not in the bed view and, of course, it doesn’t cut or engrave.

Here’s an example of one I didn’t catch until after it was done and I removed it. :frowning:

Also, this is proofgrade maple using maple settings, but the outline rectangle only cut all the way through on the top line and not the other 3 sides (the heart cut all the way through).

Not sure what is happening, but a lot of things have been squirrelly lately.

Is that line an open or closed path? Believe another similar issue recently was solved with finding it being an engrave of an open path.

2 Likes

To clarify further what he’s saying in regards to an open or closed path; If it’s simply a straight line, and it doesn’t close back in on itself to create a shape that might have a “fill” it won’t engrave.

Switch the option to SCORE and see if it works for you. That’s what worked for me.

Perhaps the GF team can add automatic detection of open paths, and set them to SCORE instead of Engrave, or simply alert the user by changing that process step thumbnail to a different color when an open path is detected.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer @jbmanning5, that’s right. @BigBlueMark, converting the step to score should give you the result you want. Thanks for letting us know about this - I’ve passed the feedback on to the team.

Regarding your print not cutting through, I’m sorry to hear about that. To cut successfully, there are three important things to check. First, your material must lie flat. This requires a clean, properly installed crumb tray and flat materials. Second, there must be no obstructions, dirt, or damage preventing the laser light from reaching your material. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, so please thoroughly inspect your unit and design according to the suggestions in our troubleshooter.

Once you’ve inspected and cleaned, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard and let us know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let us know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.