"Ocean Wave" Coffee Table

Laser etched wave table completed! This is a 48” x 24” x 20” coffee table which was illustrated and then broken into 12 segments for the Glowforge. Specifically, we needed to use as much of the space within the cut area as possible, while also giving the table strength once the process was done.

After we did the first 1, we knew it was going to look great. Each piece with the Basic GF took about an hour to etch. Each segment was then tested to make sure that the design was close as possible. Admittedly, there were some challenges with that, but we figured out a process that allowed for an 1/8" bleed and that seemed to do the trick +/-.

Once glued together, we then stained the edges and bottom and then did 4 flood coats of epoxy for depth and to smooth the top. The table was then finished with classic pin legs.

It was a fun process and we hope you like it as well!

139 Likes

Just WOW!!!

3 Likes

Classy hairpin legs. Where’d you source those?

5 Likes

That is insanely cool! I love seeing the Glowforge used for bigger projects.

6 Likes

Amazon sells them. Steve Ramsey used them on a classic record player stand and storage unit a couple of weeks ago.

2 Likes

that is amazing work right there. Had you thought at all about using dowels across the table?

1 Like

We try to make ours typically… but for the price there’s no way to compete :). Here’s the link (no affiliate).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071X9MFYL/

6 Likes

We reinforced the table with angled screws which were then covered with dowels which were removed with a Japanese saw :). Good catch!

3 Likes

Amazeballs!!!

3 Likes

I just have to say, that is a beautiful table! Thank you for sharing the process for making it.

4 Likes

That is really incredible! Just wow!

4 Likes

Woah. I’m seriously impressed. That is some commitment and a ton of engraving time. Love this so much.

5 Likes

Love the pattern and contrast and scale… Wow!

5 Likes

I love the table! And all of the work that went into it! This is amazing.

5 Likes

Well, everyone else already used all the good words that I can think of in my current pre-caffinated state so I’ll just say: Everything they :point_up: all said ^2!

5 Likes

Wow, you win the internet today! I’ve never seen anything quite like this.

6 Likes

Your post on IG caught my eye. I’m glad you posted the details here. Interesting process. Great project!

5 Likes

That is amazing! I wish I had the patience for that! It was all I could do to design a beer caddy from scratch to stretch my brain power…I couldn’t even imagine tackling that table design…Im getting a headache just imagining it!..lol…great work!

3 Likes

Absolutely stunning. Incredible art and skill.

5 Likes

First, great idea for the engraving. The design makes me want to look at it more than just a cursory glance and second the way it is made. Beautiful work. :blush:

3 Likes