Oculus Medium

Theres one app I havent tried yet, but its kind of a layout planner for houses. Id love to design structures in VR. You could walk through them in realtime to get a feel for them… It cant be long before something like that arises. Until then, ive always got minecraft haha

4 Likes

Yes!! I would love to be able to create crazy built environments to be used as VR game worlds. Like- Inception level building platforms :grinning:

2 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Having done electrical drafting and pipe design work on navy ships back in the pen & paper days and having to walk out to the ship to confirm things that didn’t look right, this would have been pretty darn handy.

9 Likes

Just saw a photo of a friend wearing a HoloLens. He seems impressed. I hadn’t even heard of it before: a mixed AR/VR headset.

4 Likes

I am actually more excited about the Hololens style tech than i am about VR.
As a gamer (both board and PC) the possibilities are endless as well.

Sony are making a cut-price version as well, it sells for (IIRC) US$800 vs the Microsoft Hololens US$3000

3 Likes

What Sony headset are you talking about, out of curiosity? They have some AR glasses that’ve been around for a while, but their recent effort has been focused on the PS VR.

And that $3k price point isn’t designed to be the final cost for Hololens-type products; this is a dev kit, not a finished consumer product.

1 Like

The HoloLens looks very cool. I would love to try one of these out someday. From what I understand the one big drawback of this iteration is that the screen that the images are rendered on is fairly small. I’ll probably wait for at least version 2.0 to shell out all my money for something like this.

4 Likes

that and the developer price. but reading up on it it sure sounds like a lot of fun and some cool tech.

4 Likes

[quote=“jrnelson, post:29, topic:4143, full:true”]
What Sony headset are you talking about, out of curiosity? They have some AR glasses that’ve been around for a while, but their recent effort has been focused on the PS VR. [/quote]

Sony SmartEyeGlass… there used to be a specific review of it but just quickly here is a list of all the available tech like this

Yeah i have seen some of their forays into VR, but i am not a huge Sony fan and i would not look past the HTC or Oculus unless there was some extremely compelling reason

I think all of them are just Dev kit at this point!
You are certainly right, the Hololens will not be mass-produced at that price, but i get the feeling they are also some way off of release. Most reviews i see of it are very much controlled and limited in application

3 Likes

I’ve heard the same thing – mind-blowing experience in a postage-stamp sized window. While I haven’t used one myself, my belief is that the small screen is due to the processing power and battery life needed to make it usable right now. I think this will greatly improve with the next version.

2 Likes

VR must tries:
The lab (archery especially)
Space pirate trainer
Audioshield
Budget cuts (demo)
Tiltbrush
Accounting (rick and morty humor)
Elite Dangerous (if you like space sims landing on a planet in VR is insane)
Universe Sandbox 2 (if you’re into space)
The new google earth app

And in case you haven’t seen it, this is coming:
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/star-trek-bridge-crew/

5 Likes