Odd shape center finder

Back a while I was having problems finding the dead center of some odd shapes and I designed this. I’ve since solved that particular problem but I made this anyway because I see the ongoing use for it.

I see a lot of cursors and setup jigs coming off the Glowforge.

The plastic is 1/8 acrylic in fluorescent orange from inventable’s.

What you can’t fully appreciate from the photo is how well the lines pop without any ink. Clear fluorescents are going to work great for cursors.

The hardest part of the whole project was weeding the scored side as there were bunches of little bits to gett my fingernail under and scrape off.

41 Likes

Awesomely cool! :smile:
(I hate to sound stupid…but how does it work?)

5 Likes

I should have included this. You just lay it over whatever odd shape you want to find the center of and eyeball out the center. I included both a vertical/horizontal matrix and concentric circles so most any shape is game.

The original thing I was wanting it for was non-equilateral hexagons but it should work well for many shapes.

34 Likes

Well that’s clever… :smiley:

7 Likes

Thank you. Coming from you that is fulfilling. I don’t think I’ll ever be the artist some of you already are but I’ll make butt loads of useful things! :squee:

13 Likes

Very handy. Thanks for that :smile:

Craftsmanship is an art of its own.

5 Likes

True that, just saying that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Run with your strengths and work on your weaknesses.

4 Likes

Hear hear!