Off-center cuts relative to engraves

Not sure exactly what you’re saying here. If this is about getting close to the edge of printable area, when I engrave+cut pieces, I’m near the center and at least 3 inches from any edge of printable area.

If you’re talking about the instance of a nearly full-size print for the board I mentioned, I think I get what you’re saying. Those prints actually have a nice bit of room along the right side, and I’ve only had this issue with it once (out of many times).

Yep! I think so too. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s not going to change the relative alignment when you do a defocused engrave - although the engrave might wind up being marginally larger than non-defocused. It gets a little fuzzier. (And that is correct, you don’t change the cut FP.)

I misunderstood, I thought you were looking for resolution since this was in P&S originally. No problem.

If you want to diagnose the off-center cuts, you might want to try capturing some screen prints showing the issue, and maybe post the file you’re using when it happens. It’s hard to diagnose something like that without some shots to see what’s going on.

1 Like

There was at least one case of a pulley being out of alignment causing lost steps an inch away from the right extreme.

Additional note: While right side collisions have been the most common, some folks also lose registration when they print too close to the front particularly with the pro-shields installed.

If you do things in the different order (“engrave then cut” as opposed to “cut then engrave” or vice versa), do you still have the same problem?

I was having an issue with a complex score at a high speed making the machine lose its position. If I did the score first then the cut, it was misaligned. But if I did the cut, then the score, it worked fine.

I eventually turned down the speed of the score to “fix” the problem.

I reported it to support, but never got a reason as to why it was doing that.

I don’t consistently have the issue so I don’t know. I wouldn’t be comfortable doing the pieces cut+engrave, but I doing board pieces cut+score should be fine, but I’ve only seen the issue once with board pieces to my knowledge.

Dangit Glowforge why does this happen??!?!??!?! Ugh so frustrating.

I ran into this issue, but I haven’t had a chance to document it properly. I was going to start a new thread once I came up with some examples.
It is in the software, not the laser. I was doing a big “coin” run and to optimize I decided to rasterize all the coins together so I could engrave an entire strip of them at once, instead of each coin individually, it was going to shave a hour off of my time.
But when I rasterized them together I noticed my cut lines were off, visible in the app. It seems to put a some sort of scale on the raster image. I’m hoping this weekend I’ll get a bit more time to debug this and figure out what is going on. I ended up having to engrave each coin individually.

Use a 20" x 12" artboard for your design. (Without explaining the various dpi export issues that cause that…the 20 x 12 artboard is the workaround for it.)

1 Like

Hi, Im experiencing the same problem. Have you found a solution by any chance?

Unfortunately, no, it just seems to be the case that if you run a step at a different focus height, they are off-center. I would recommend changing the print so that the steps take up less area, I think that will be affected less.

I’m still upset with how they dismissed this issue. Seems that defocused steps are just not supported. I still have good success with a defocused score usually, but the tolerance of that is a bit higher.

what do you mean by taking up less area?
And I suppose the only real solution is to do an engrave with out defocus. although when I do that, it doesnt look clean at all…do you have any settings you recommend?

Settings for what material? I document most of my process, including settings, at https://forum.skudpaisho.com/showthread.php?tid=82 - to see how bad you’re suffering from this, maybe you can make some Vagabond Pai Sho tiles (see link to Design Downloads page). For me, when the engrave and cut are at different focus heights, they have been ending up off-center with each other by a bit. If you’re seeing a bigger problem, I’d beg Help and Support.
By taking up less area, I mean, if I was making Pai Sho tiles, I’d do only a few at a time instead of a full row.