Off Topic: Instant Pot

Sous vide takes even MORE planning. Except for yogurt. It’s pretty fool-proof for yogurt, which is nice if you tend to get distracted and forget what you were doing. I think I posted my yogurt recipe here one time. That’s pretty much all I use mine for. :slight_smile:

Oh gosh, I hardly ever cook a steak any other way than sous vide any more. You can make a cheaper cut really tender that way and it always comes out perfectly. And as for pork steaks: zowie! For those I sous vide at 140 for at least 36 hours, then put them in an oven covered with bbq sauce for about an hour at 250. You can make up a big batch for a crowd and they come out falling off the bone.

Thanks, just bought a batch of fresh—I’ll give it a try!

yes and no? i agree that you have to start a lot earlier, so it requires more forethought. but the end time can have huge ranges. like a chicken breast, it takes anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. and for that entire 3 hour window, it’s still good. lots of flexibility. whereas if you cook something in an oven, you are tied to the time it’s finished. if you leave a chicken breast on the stove or in the oven for an extra 5 mins, dry and stringy. take it out 5 mins earlier, it’s still pink inside.

Well, I just ran a test heatup of the water…lookin’ good! (Starting with hot water helps.)

New York strips tonight, maybe I’ll even do stuffed baked potatoes along with since I’ll save so much time on the grilling part. Some fresh green beans. Salad.

Creme brulee? Toasted potica a la mode? Pots de creme?

Shouldn’t think about these things when I’m hungry. :smile:

one of the things you’ll have to deal with is food not just cooking to different times, but different temps (just like a stove). unless the creme brulee or pots de creme cook at the same temp as the steaks, can’t do them in the same SV pot at the same time.

fortunately, if you want to be able to do that, an Anova can be had for as little as $75 when they’re on sale so you could do multiple pots at the same time for a lot less than adding another stove :slight_smile: .

Actually, more than that…I’ m trying to figure out how to cook his steak to medium rare and mine to medium well at the same time. :thinking:

I think I might be going to have the same dinner as you: steaks in sous vide (just put it in a minute ago), green beans in IP, salad. Oh, also some fresh baked rolls since I have some leftover dough from yesterday’s homemade pizza. For dessert, one or two out of my stash of Dove dark chocolates.

How long are you cooking the steaks? (I might need to go heat up some water.)

They can sit in there 1-4 hours, so I put it in early as the steak is half frozen (and we eat early, like before 5). Give it an extra hour if you put it in frozen. And I keep a bucket of water (actually it’s a Tidy Cats 35lb litter bucket) in my hobby room always ready to go for sous vide, so it heats up from cold which takes an hour.

Cook both steaks in the sous vide to medium rare. Since you have to finish them in a pan anyway just cook the medium well a bit more.

Was planning to pull out one of hub’s torches, but a pan will work. :smile:

Fiiiiiiyah! :fire:

You should go to Burning Man. Lots of opportunity to break out the fire. :wink:

i’m so disappointed to hear “medium well.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Might be a great place to sell some Turbo Torches! :smile:

ROFL! Sorry, I draw the line at my meal mooing at me. :rofl:

Heh. Our dad always says he likes his steak rare enough that a good vet could get it back on its feet again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

when i worked the line in a restaurant, we used to serve our steaks on smokin hot cast iron skillet plates. we had one regular customer who literally asked us to make sure we had the hottest skillet, toss the steak on that over the fire for a minute, pull the skillet out, flip the steak over, and send it to his table.

Wife had to have a IP over the summer so ended up getting her one… After reading this thread I now want a SV! I saw them many times and never thought much of them, but after all the steak talk (and some very quick google research) it has me very interested!

Anything the $99 Anova Sous Vide Nano can’t do? I didn’t look much but I figure there is prob a range of them, I off hand noticed $100~$160 on those.

I have the Nano. i can’t compare it to others because it’s the only one i’ve used. and i’ve only cooked a few things on it.

that said, it seems like it does everything i need. last fall they were on sale for $75 on amazon. camelcamelcamel says they were even as low as $64 from amazon in December.

I picked up the Wancle, and it was under $90. (Of course the accessories like the rubbermaid bin and the rack added another few bucks, but i figured…what the heck, an immersion heater is an immersion heater.) This one looks nice so far. A little larger than I expected but it heats up quickly.

And it beeps nicely.