Off Topic: Instant Pot

Except for the part about not selling anything at the event. :wink:

The most important difference for any of them is the wattage of the heating element. That will have a big impact on the preheat time and could make a difference in maintaining a consistent temperature depending on how you use it.

I managed to pick up the Nano for $64 but it was for my sister so I haven’t used it. I picked up the 2nd gen WIFI model a year or two ago on Black Friday. The 900 watt heating element works well.

Generally I expect most all of them will work pretty good. It is just a big fish tank heater and circulation pump. :slight_smile:

i’m sure the extra 150w helps a little for initial heat up and if you’re working in a big cooler. i have a 12q container that i have used a couple of times so far and it hasn’t taken that long to heat up nor have i seen any problems maintaining heat on a 10hr cook.

I have an Anova first version, no wifi and a Joule. For the most part I use the Joule more, its faster. The Anova I use for long SV’s using a modified Coleman Cooler on the porch.

I use a culinary torch and also a Searzall Torch to sear.

I love this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5ObToC-zs he’s so fun to watch.

Is it possible to flunk sous vide? :woman_facepalming:

no, it’s way too easy! Temp and time. Check out https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/should-you-brine-sous-vide-food-ask-jason

Cooked some steaks that I took out of the freezer yesterday to thaw…they were the toughest meat I believe I’ve ever put in my mouth. (Like chewing rubber bands, and I like my meat well done.)

Probably not the fault of the sous vide, they were obviously some of Robert’s leftovers from one of his dove hunts…those guys go into caveman mode and can eat anything with enough beer to wash it down.

I’m just aggravated that I wasted the bearnaise on them. I’ll try something with some marbling next time, or cook them overnight to soften them up a little. :roll_eyes:

The tougher the meat the longer the cook, but at a certain point you get texture changes (mush). Temp assures doneness, time tenderness. Check out Jason he’s more of a food scientist :slight_smile:

Chicken can be amazing! I also did some wonderful lamb chops!

I picked up some chicken tenders so that will be the next test. (I’ve seen Jason’s blog from Pinterest searches…I’ll look at it a little more closely before the next one.) :smile:

QFT

Awwww, sorry your steak didn’t come out well. They must have been pretty bad to not be good in a Sous vide. What temp did you cook at? I did mine at 135 and they came out amazing. Admittedly they were tenderloin but I’ve gotten really tender results from far inferior steaks.

The green beans were good by the way!

131.2 for his steak, for the recommended two hours. (The steaks were just nothing but gristle - they would have taken ten hours to tenderize. Mine was cooked for an additional hour at 140 to cook it a little more, and I think it was in better shape than his was.)

I’ll tell you one thing though…he’s a gem. He gamely tried to muscle his way through the steak, which he said was cooked perfectly. :smile:

Get a Jaccard tenderizer. That will make short work of even the wildest boar meat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3G0F6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I will! Thanks! :grinning:

Those style tenderizers are the best! I’ve had one for years. Try it on bacon, curling is minimal!

I know. I can’t believe every store with kitchen stuff has those tenderizing mallets that unless you do pounded flat cutlets or something are relatively useless (unless your 4 yr old gets his hands on it) but Jaccard tenderizers seem to be mail order only.

Same with vegetable/potato peelers - the Y version is 100% better than those stick ones but everyone gets the vertical model at least the first time.

A Jaccard tenderizer is a useful tool but you do need to be aware that when you use it, you are injecting whatever is on the outside of the meat into the inside. That does increase the risk of food-borne illness in your rare steaks.

Once you know what to look for you can see that some store bought meat has been through a Jaccard–I don’t think that should be allowed without labeling.

Huh, how did you do that? I bought an Instant Pot last July during Prime Day and have been finding most things watery, without as much depth of flavor as compared to traditional methods. Except stock. The thing is brilliant at stock.

I have no idea. :woman_shrugging: :woman_facepalming::rofl:
(Still get the best results using the old fashioned methods though…long slow heat through the day.)

Even in the instant pot too much heat and liquid and you can drive the fats out of meat making it dry.