Offcenter cuts after engraving

Hello, I would like to get customer support to contact me.

I am having issues sometimes when cutting some circles with a design inside. Sometimes the glowforge will cut the circle shape a little off centered after the design is engraved. Making the end result look bad. It is very minimal but when you are cutting a circle shape that has a design inside with a circle/outer ring close to the cut out shape it will look off center no matter how off it is

I was having problems before with the engraving being deeper in the center of the bed and as it would move away from the center it would get less deep. Glowforge contacted me and said my machine had a “bad tuning” at the factory and they would go and fix the problem ONLINE (Why did it go out with a bad tuning in the first place). Now I haven’t had that problem anymore but why the cuts are slightly off center when I am engraving and cutting in the same run without touching the material until every is done?

It is strange because it is the same design in the same run and lets say, 8 out of 10 cuts are dead on but 2 are a little off. NOT TO MENTION that I have to “trick” my designs and move the graphic that is inside the circle to the LEFT 0.002 in or other wise it will ALWAYS be off-centered no matter what. Frustrating to have such an unpredictable machine. I want to offer my customers quality and it is hard to when you get results like this all of the sudden.

It sounds like you might have a belt tension or small debris in belt issue causing a slight drift. When was the last time you checked and cleaned them?

I am constantly cleaning the lenses and machine in general. Maybe every 3 days depending on how much I use it

Nothing you can clean would tell you about belt tension or debris in the belt. Go to the support pages (linked in the top menu on every page) and check your tension after checking for debris.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for the trouble. In order to investigate further, I’ll need a bit more detail.

Could you please provide photos of the offset you’re seeing when this occurs?

Additionally, could you let me know the date and time (including time zone) when this issue happened last, so that I can pull logs from the print?

Once I have this information, I’ll be happy to take a closer look.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.