I just finished engraving/cutting a job and it was “focusing the head” longer than usual. And then now it says my glowforge is offline? The machine is on. Is there some maintenance going on or…?
I re-started it and reload the website and it’s working again. But that was very strange!!!
You may have a WiFi issue. The GF is very sensitive to external interference in the WiFi signal and this causes a large number of issues like you have reported.
It may also be that your GF needed to install updates which happens when it turns on if there are any available.
Hi @TheForger, thank you for reaching out to us. I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve your offline trouble.
I did take a look at the logs for your unit and it looks like your Glowforge is able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message.
If the problem happens again, the most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.
- Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
- Turn off your Glowforge
- Unplug your modem
- Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
- Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on
If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:
Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
- Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
- Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
- Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
- Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
- Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.
I hope this helps. Please let us know if you run into any other trouble.