Offline Out of Nowhere

Hmmm. Well, fail then. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yeah, I always make sure my devices are named in my router so there’s no guesswork. (Made it easier to figure out which kid is online after bedtime!)

Yeah… I was doing it from my Android phone. I don’t recall if I was using the built-in browser or Chrome.

At least some versions of the built-in browser pretend to be the iOS version of Safari (in the User-Agent string) in order to make some badly-designed websites send the mobile version. That could be confusing the Glowforge browser detection.

1 Like

Do they. What an interesting choice. You’d think with rival mobile OS’s they would have impersonated something else.

In the early days of smart phones many websites would only provide a mobile version to browsers whose User-Agent strings matched mobile Safari. So if they had used any other User-Agent they’d get the desktop site instead.

Most websites are smarter that that now but I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of mobile browsers still pretended to be Safari to handle older websites.

I’m very sorry for the trouble you’ve had recently.

We’ve been investigating this with the engineers. At this point, having examined the logs from your Glowforge, it is unlikely that there is a hardware problem with your unit. Most frequently, this issue is caused by network issues that can be resolved by restarting your Glowforge, router, and any access points. It is also possible that there is a software problem, so the team is looking into this incident and other similar reports.

Since you’re printing again, I am closing this thread. Rest assured, the investigation will continue! If you experience this again, please let us know – your reports are helpful to the team.

1 Like