Offline with No Movement From the Glowforge

I have read about similar problems but have not found a solution. When I turn the Glowforge on, the lights come on and the brief exhaust fan power up happens, but then NOTHING. The app shows it as offline. I’ve tried:

1. Turn off and unplug for 30 minutes.
  2. Change wifi to my phone hotspot
  3. Access with different computer
  4. Checked all visible cable connections and all appear seated correctly

An email to support indicated it could be as long as 3 days for a response.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Unfortunately, it seems you’ve covered everything.

Same problem here. They told me to do a hard reset which didn’t work. They said it might be the button hardware

They have asked me to return it and they are sending out a replacement. Haven’t heard yet if I have to pay the international freight. I have only had it three weeks.

Sounds like a manufacturing fault and we are not alone .

I’m also hoping there is another solution. My thought is it can’t connect to the internet so they can’t see what is wrong or fix it.

How do you perform a hard reset?

You already did by unplugging it.

Is this a pro model? If so there’s an interlock on the back with a staple thingy that has to be pushed all the way in for the machine to work.

That’s all I can think of at the moment, otherwise we’ll have to wait for Support to get here.

(BTW for future reference, when you email AND open a thread in Problems and Support, you’ve opened two support tickets, which gums up the works a little and can slow things down. Per ticket it’s probably not a lot, but when you remember they’re a relatively small team and supporting 18,000 users, it probably adds up!) :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks. The staple thingy is in all the way.

I was going to just leave it at the email for support but when the auto-reply said 3 days, I panicked! :grimacing:

1 Like

They’re usually faster than that, but with 18,000 machines to support, they have to give an outside estimate to make sure they can live up to it!

Hi,
You don’t mention you tried anything with your network or router–which is often where you need to go to solve the issue (and this is noted in many threads for Offline as well).

I had “Offline” happen a couple times last summer, and changed my network channel from 1 to 9, and then again to 11, and (knock on wood) haven’t had the issue again.

Also make sure you’re running 2.4gHz dedicated for the GF. “Band steering” or 5gHz will not work.

Hi, I replied to the OP with this, but want to make sure you see this too:

You don’t mention you tried anything with your network or router–which is often where you need to go to solve the issue (and this is noted in many threads for Offline as well).

I had “Offline” happen a couple times last summer, and changed my network channel from 1 to 9, and then again to 11, and (knock on wood) haven’t had the issue again.

Also make sure you’re running 2.4gHz dedicated for the GF. “Band steering” or 5gHz will not work.

1 Like

I appreciate the suggestion but I did change the wifi to my mobile hotspot to eliminate the network/router possibility. I am in a school setting and did restart our server and router without change. I’m comfortable that it is not the router or the network also because the machine never attempts to focus or center…there is no movement at all, even with network issues, you would think it could make some type of movement.

It’s still “Offline” right? Until you get to “online” alas it will never move…
And sorry if you did this already, but just to ask, have you tried going through the set up routine after you changed to your hotspot?

What does it show when you click on the machine name/your name in the upper right? (The GFUI should still be active if you’re logged in even if the machine is turned off/offline).

Support will tell you how to do a reset. Be careful because it wipes all of their logs. You want to make sure they have all the diagnostics off the machine before you wipe it.

My machine wouldn’t hard reset

I did go back through setup with no success. It just shows the machine name and ‘offline’ when I click there.

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.