Olive oil acrylic block can, edge lit

As a thank you for someone who is retiring, I was asked to make a gift that has something to do with olive oil.

First edge lit project.

52 Likes

The gift came out great! I love the thickness of the acrylic block. Nice!

7 Likes

Wow, what a great tribute!

4 Likes

This is fabulous! I’m a huge fan of acrylic. How thick is this piece?

4 Likes

That’s actually really nifty.

3 Likes

Wow that is perfectly done.

3 Likes

I love the added lid on top. look’s really great.

3 Likes

Thank you!

This cast acrylic block is almost 2 inches thick. I bought it with smooth surfaces and four rough edges, that I polished. The cap is made of ‘ghost’ cast acrylic, a little less than half an inch thick and cut on the Glowforge.

12 Likes

The whole thing is absolutely elegant…and that thick acrylic is so classy. Thanks!

3 Likes

Yeah, now you are making me want some thick acrylic, and I have no idea what I’d do with it. Very clever design, to make the whole thing look like an olive oil can.

5 Likes

Makes for a very impressive piece! Beautiful!

3 Likes

That’s a clever idea. Nice execution.

3 Likes

looks great! nice light through the whole thing… care to talk about the light stand?

3 Likes

Of course:

The wood I used is 5 mm (0.1969"). Except for the top layer of 0,8 mm (less than 0.0393") and the 3 mm (0.1181") text plate. But you can easily adjust the idea for this base for wood thickness and size of the lamp.
The lamp I used is a LED lamp from IKEA: LED lamp

In this picture I have tried to explain about how I build the base (if it is not clear, please let me know!):

I glued everything together with the lamp already in place with wood glue and clammed the layers together to let it dry. The back side I had sanded on forehand, the other sides I sanded after the glue had dried. The last step was screwing the text plate in place.
Using a living hinge design in the base might be nice too. That is still on my list to try :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Great work! Love the thick acrylic.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind reaction. I am looking forward to see what others make of an acrylic block and a LED lamp!
I really hope that there will be recycled acrylic blocks available in my country soon. But I am already very happy that I am able to buy beautiful recycled acrylic sheets here in all sort of colours now.

1 Like

This is one I made quite some time ago…but, it’s not one block.

Wow, that looks fantastic, mesmerising with all those pretty layers!

1 Like