One of those days

Today dawned sunny and I was looking forward to a day of GForging with the Drragon… alas things did not go well…
First project, small acrylic Badge for my HOA. Worked fine, looked great etched in clear. And yet, I have some white too. “Self” says I, “let’s give it a go “…etched in white no problem-o. White on white… doh! Note to Self - less etching on white! Attempting to salvage with some black acrylic paint… awaiting drying before peeling.
So now I’m on a roll with a new box of PF materials under the workbench… and decide to make the NWOM Moon Lamp… Did I miss it somewhere on the download file ?, but I found no indicator of the material thickness the patterns were designed for…! I had already cut one set and was cutting the seconds set before I figured out in needed THICK plywood! Grrr. 2 sheets wasted. And then, of course I try to see if the acrylic I cut for it, would be salvageable for a thick cut wood set… but noooooo, bottom tabs too close together…argh! So that’s in the recycle bin too. FUDGENUTS!!
On the bright side… I have created some bed pins and a badge and have become as intrigued by the leftover bits as the original designs, and save as much as I can. Am in the process of creating a mosaic a gecko form with bits of the wood leftovers… looking cools so far.
So my PLEA to designers, please note your material thickness intentions on the design somewhere obvious even to a newbie like me!

11 Likes

It sounds like you had a major “learning” day. That means it gets better from here.
I always publish the thickness of the materials of the free designs but even that is no guarantee. I’ve seen several thousandths differance between lots of :proofgrade: and it is more consitant than other stuff!

8 Likes

Guess I’m going to have to learn Inkscape better so I can read dimensions on those gaps and tabs! Ah well…

2 Likes

The one thing I find most annoying about Inkscape is the dimensioning. You have to go to the dimension screen and then you cannot do anything but look at the dimensions.

dimensions

there are other workarounds like snap and grids but straight up measuring things this is it.

3 Likes

Go big and start learning Fusion 360.

4 Likes

I ruined two sets of engravings today, of my own design, which I had already done before. It happens, you move forward and just kick yourself for the rest of your days. :wink:

6 Likes

Ok. So I don’t pay attention to icons in the toolbar. I’m a menu and words guy. Of course Inkscape has a dimensioning tool. That I never noticed before. Dope slap of the day.

7 Likes

Well at least there IS. A dimensions view! That’s 99% of my battle at least!

2 Likes

Knowing a feture exists is half the battle, more with Inkscape as they hide things. Sometimes in plain sight!

4 Likes

First thing I do with any program is pick on everything and see what it does… Well any program but Blender. It will go to far more places than I want to tread.

3 Likes

Who’d of thought a ruler icon would give you dimensions :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You could cut another set out of the thin plywood and then glue them together…

2 Likes

Or… make another set without bottom piece, and create a hexagonal bottom for 6 sides version sans acrylic and put a low Hurricane lamp on middle… hmmmm will post if I do.

2 Likes

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!

4 Likes

:crazy_face: yeah… I’ll go with the silver lining view…!

3 Likes